Low BP

Options
Does anyone else have really low BP? I don't feel dizzy or have any symptoms but my BP is always like 90-95/50-60.

I just was wondering if others have BP similar numbers without symptoms? My pulse is also very low about 40-50 resting. I have no issues exercising or being active.

I have been like this for years but doctors/nurses are always amazed how low it is and I am just hoping it is normal for some people and not something I should worry about. No doctors have ever said something was wrong, but I can't help but wonder since all my friends and family have significantly higher BP and HR.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    My last blood pressure reading was 93/58. My doctor wasn't concerned, I didn't even think it was low, I was pretty pleased with that reading after previously having been diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Mine is 80/60 but I feel fine. I'm supposed to eat A LOT of salt for that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When I was young and presumably eating less salt (because salt was thought to be bad for everyone back then), I used to get dizzy and sometimes even passed out when I stood up.

Now I eat a lot of salt and that no longer happens. Salt up! Thai food is especially good for getting in your sodium.

Note: I tend to temporarily retain water when I have Chinese food, which for me includes a lot of fried food, but don't have this issue with Thai food, which is not fried.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Mine is usually 85/55. I eat a ton of salt. I do still occasionally black out when rising too quickly.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Mine is usually 85/55. I eat a ton of salt. I do still occasionally black out when rising too quickly.

You know that isn't normal, right?

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I meant normal for some people.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Mine is low. Last I got it checked it was 90/60. I also get light headed when I get up too quickly. I didn't know that was related to BP.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

I have never even thought anything of it, I figured it happened to everyone lol. it only happens to me occasionally. A few weeks ago my husband was around for one, I had to sit back down on the floor, and he was so concerned. He was like "umm that is NOT normal."
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Mine used to be the same way. The medical assistants would think the cuff was broken. Then I hit my 40s and my pressure became high. But, I didn't get dizzy when I stood up. Does your doctor know that part? My daughter was like that, but hers turned out to be a vestibular problem. She had vestibular therapy with a physical therapist and is okay now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

I have never even thought anything of it, I figured it happened to everyone lol. it only happens to me occasionally. A few weeks ago my husband was around for one, I had to sit back down on the floor, and he was so concerned. He was like "umm that is NOT normal."

"Postural hypotension and occurs within the first 15 seconds of standing up suddenly. The autonomic nervous system usually corrects this fall in BP very quickly and symptoms are usually very short-lived. ‘Head rush’ can occur in young, healthy people."

And it's a sign of POTS, if it's also accompanied by increase heart rate. It's not really normal. Increased salt consumption can generally help it.

OP, if you are concerned, I would recommend going to see a cardiologist who can run some test, like a tilt table. GP's generally don't have the specialty for these things.
  • Seffell
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

"Postural hypotension and occurs within the first 15 seconds of standing up suddenly. The autonomic nervous system usually corrects this fall in BP very quickly and symptoms are usually very short-lived. ‘Head rush’ can occur in young, healthy people."

And it's a sign of POTS, if it's also accompanied by increase heart rate. It's not really normal. Increased salt consumption can generally help it.

OP, if you are concerned, I would recommend going to see a cardiologist who can run some test, like a tilt table. GP's generally don't have the specialty for these things.

Orthostatic hypotension is fairly common in people and while it is observed in patients with POTS, most people don't have POTS and it returns to normal fairly quickly thanks to the autonomic nervous system. With POTS it never does and that is what the essence of POTS is - an autonomy disfunction.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Orthostatic hypotension is fairly common in people and while it is observed in patients with POTS, most people don't have POTS and it returns to normal fairly quickly thanks to the autonomic nervous system. With POTS it never does and that is what the essence of POTS is - an autonomy disfunction.

That is why I noted if it's accompanied with a rapid heart rate, generally 30-40 beats above normal. If it's not, then it wouldn't be POTS.

Maybe I didn't write that clear enough.
  • Seffell
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

That is why I noted if it's accompanied with a rapid heart rate, generally 30-40 beats above normal. If it's not, then it wouldn't be POTS.

Maybe I didn't write that clear enough.

No, in fact rapid heart beat during a drop in bp is normal. The heart is trying to compensate. What is not normal is sustaining this high pulse after say 15-20 mins.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Mine has been low my whole life, what's normal for a person is normal.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Orthostasis is a drop in SBP >=20mmHg or >=DBP 10mmHg that is sustained with time upon standing (does not correct). There is a compensatory increase in HR initially (normal) but the extent & time sustained elevated (BP does not increase) would be more indicative of postural orthostatic tachycardia.

Normal HR (resting) range is 60-90bpm in most lab references (some do go up to 100bpm)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    My BP is usual 80-90/50 some. Other than when I used to get iron infusions and needed fluids to raise it, it has never been an issue