Reaching goal and soul searching

This topic may have been addressed many times, sorry, I'm starting a new one. I have lost the same 10ish pounds numerous times but this time - at 60 - is the last time; I am going to maintain my new weight. I'm 5'8"; I started in November at 165ish and lost slowly and had some plateaus and a frustrating two months of stalling. I refocused and have now reached the goal of 153. I've set the range at 152-155 with 155 being the upper limit. I know I will maintain it.

However, I was examing why I didn't have the same mentality before. I would lose the weight, reach the goal, then abandon the tools that got me there; namely, choosing food wisely and logging carefully.

At 60, I have a flabby belly, loose skin, and jiggly parts. Before I think I would figure, oh, it's not perfect, and give up, then regain the weight - slowly, but still regain it. Giving myself permission to love my body as it is, jiggly parts and all, is what I'm doing now. It's better than jiggly parts plus more fat on it.

I exercise diligently, both weight training and cardio, eat healthfully (mostly), and get proper sleep, manage my stress, etc. I do have a full time desk job, and find ways to get up and move around frequently.

However, I do like to eat, and realize that my downfall is relaxing the reins when going out with friends, and social situations. But I have found a way to remind myself to be ever vigilant.

In addition, I will add more strength training to keep and buld muscle mass, which we lose as we age.

But I feel a bit of a let down, and have to be mindful of that.

Anybody else have the let down feeling?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    What exactly are you feeling let down about? I guess I missed it if you inferred to it in your OP.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    OP - in your Post you say “stop dieting”....but the thing is, you dont stop. You simply add a handful more calories and go about your life.

I don't think I said that "stop dieting"; if I did it's not what I meant. I think the maintenance part has always been the hardest for me, plus it's a different goal.
    Thanks for replying.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    @walktalkdog I understand completely. I’m feeling a bit of this now as I’m on the cusp of maintenance after losing 40 pounds at age 62.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What exactly are you feeling let down about? I guess I missed it if you inferred to it in your OP.

What I mean is that I have to accept a flabby stomach, "bat wings" (the back of the arms), and flabby inner thighs. The body is not going to look like it did decades earlier, that's all. Putting things into perspective, not having to deal with health issues, or having been extremely overweight, makes these concerns seem trivial.
    I just needed to vent it on this board.

Ah, our inevitable "flaws"! I get it. Thanks for the explanation. I'm struggling with aging as well but I'm going to keep working on making it as positive as I can, as hard as it is to accept at times.

I understand the venting. As you can see, it's a good thing to do as you aren't alone.
  • maylingsmom
    maylingsmom Posts: 18 Member
    @walktalkdog I totally get where you are coming from. I am 65 & all the sags & bags get to me. But I am going to keep on because truthfully, I am at a not so good place as far as weight goes. Keep your chin up, girl. I am sending good thoughts your way.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    For what it's worth, OP, i know people who were never overweight in their lifetime, but as they aged, their skin got flubby and lose in places that are similar to yours, mine, and probably most of us here. I think, accepting your body as it is, be appreciative of every day in good/ decent health, and focusing on fitness and long term health rather than imperfections that you can spot, is a better solution. Focus on a bigger picture, there's no perfect bodies, but give yours some time to tighten up and improve. It will get better, not to the level of a 20 years old, but better.