Best exercises for desk workers?

Options
I find that I get a stiff neck and tight upper back after working at a desk and looking down at the computer all day. I try to maintain a good posture but I'm tall and its really difficult when the desk is too low and the back of the chair has no head support. I'm guessing the best exercises would probably be core, back and shoulder related? I prefer weight lifting exercises but I'm open to all suggestions.

Replies

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could do with stretching, walking round the office every hour or researching some chair exercises you can do even when stuck at your desk.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    My understanding is your monitor should be at eye level so you're not looking up or down. Can you get a monitor stand or elevate the monitor with one or more reams of paper or something similar?

I think walking is great, but I've seen specific neck/shoulder exercises for computer/office workers. I would Google. (My co-worker has a sheet of exercises targeting this issue, and I've seen others over the years.)

Feel better!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I just Googled "neck and shoulder exercises for computer users". Lots of items came up. 😃
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    My understanding is your monitor should be at eye level so you're not looking up or down. Can you get a monitor stand or elevate the monitor with one or more reams of paper or something similar?

I think walking is great, but I've seen specific neck/shoulder exercises for computer/office workers. I would Google. (My co-worker has a sheet of exercises targeting this issue, and I've seen others over the years.)

Feel better!

Last I had checked (and it was several years ago), optimal was slight downward placement, but certainly not as much as is described.

If by hook or crook you can manage a 3 minute "movement" break every hour... even that much will make a ton of difference. 5 minutes even better!

In partial support of what I am saying re: positioning: https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/stretch-to-ease-screen-time-related-neck-and-shoulder-pain
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    there are a couple of people at work that sit on those bouncy ball things instead of chairs, they say that's good for their backs. i just get motion sickness watching them though, ugh.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Another echo about not looking down. Shoulders can be related to bad keyboard placement also. If the reason you look down is that you use a laptop, then get a USB keyboard for the office so you can put the laptop up on something that raises it to eye level and keeps it a little further away. Same for a home office if you bring home a laptop a lot.
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I totally get the same way! I've been trying to do more stretches and definitely go for more walks. I was thinking about seeing if my chiro could write me something up so I can get a standing desk....gah that'd be nice!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    +1 to workstation adjustments if at all possible. If no one at your workplace has expertise, look for resources online to see what you can do yourself. An inappropriately configured work area is an overuse injury waiting to happen.

I can't give you specifics, but there used to be apps for this - phone or web. They would sleep on your device and wake up every X amount of time and show you instructions for an office-appropriate stretch or exercise. Looking at your phone's app store, or Googling, you may find something suitable (I'd use search terms like "ergonomics office exercise app" or the like. Apologies for not having a specific one to recommend!
  • scottie416
    scottie416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have found to be helpful is to take the stairs instead of the elevator. It is a minor adjustment but if you are coming and going a couple of times a day, it can really add up.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your workstation checked out. In my case, as I can't touch-type, I'm looking down at a keyboard for most of the day so I feel your pain. A physio suggested the following exercise: Stand with your back to a wall. Heels against the wall. Head and shoulders against the wall. Slide your arms out and up, against the wall (ideally keeping your elbows to the wall), going as high as you can. Hold for as long as you can. Relax and repeat. You'll find that stretches your shoulder and back muscles. You can do it lying down too, but it's harder and gives a better stretch if you're standing.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Get your occupational health guys at work to come and check out your workstation - you should be provided with the facilities to work without being in discomfort.

Yes, this. I don't have a department to help, but I just figured it out myself. Monitors are on risers, I adjust my chair, use a cushion, and a foot rest. I'm short so I have the opposite problem but getting your work station set up properly is key.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Follow OSHA guidelines for your desk, chair, monitors, whatever.
    They are readily available and your workplace is required to help you follow them by meeting ergonomics, presuming you are in the USA.

As for exercises: Squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, and rows will be best for your back & neck.

Best exercises for almost everything else as well.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    i do yoga to battle desk fatigue/ all the stuff you mentioned
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    They are readily available and your workplace is required to help you follow them by meeting ergonomics, presuming you are in the USA.

As for exercises: Squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, and rows will be best for your back & neck.

This ^ but with a asterisk. If someone has been sitting hunched over a computer for years, they may not have the shoulder mobility to do overhead work. Google for some screening tests. Face pulls, rows, band pull aparts are all good for desk workers when in the gym.

As a taller 30+ year desk worker/heavy computer use my shoulders are beat to *kitten*. Have had 6 shoulder operations my ortho attributes to the computer work (plus both thumb joints replaced, same issue). About 5 years ago I got an adjustable sit to stand workstation and monitor stand for it at the correct height. Game changer.

Some employers can be tight *kitten* at first if you request ergonomic accommodations, but they are required to in the US if you have a medical recommendation. The average office workstation set up is designed for someone around 5'7".

For the OP, don't wait, start working on this now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This ^ but with a asterisk. If someone has been sitting hunched over a computer for years, they may not have the shoulder mobility to do overhead work. Google for some screening tests. Face pulls, rows, band pull aparts are all good for desk workers when in the gym.

As a taller 30+ year desk worker/heavy computer use my shoulders are beat to *kitten*. Have had 6 shoulder operations my ortho attributes to the computer work (plus both thumb joints replaced, same issue). About 5 years ago I got an adjustable sit to stand workstation and monitor stand for it at the correct height. Game changer.

Some employers can be tight *kitten* at first if you request ergonomic accommodations, but they are required to in the US if you have a medical recommendation. The average office workstation set up is designed for someone around 5'7".

For the OP, don't wait, start working on this now.

Over the years, I have found doctors to be very helpful in writing notes for reasonable accommodations like this. Once a Voice of Authority in involved, my employers have complied.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could do with stretching, walking round the office every hour or researching some chair exercises you can do even when stuck at your desk.

Ya, everything is the right height for me (I'm almost 5'7") and I have a very expensive chair, but I still need to get up and walk around every 90 minutes or so. If this is hard for someone to turn into a habit, drink more fluids ;)

Also, I find getting in some exercise at lunchtime to be very helpful in making my afternoons more productive and me less susceptible to the munchies.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Well said, sir. I wholeheartedly concur.

I still coach BJJ, boxing, etc. so I forget that I am often more limber and agile than the average 30-something office worker even though I am almost 50 myself.

Yes, I also work in an office as a day job.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Well said, sir. I wholeheartedly concur.

I still coach BJJ, boxing, etc. so I forget that I am often more limber and agile than the average 30-something office worker even though I am almost 50 myself.

Yes, I also work in an office as a day job.

Poor mobility is a real thing. I helped coach a jr high track team. Half of them couldn't hold a 3rd world squat for 10 seconds.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/third-world-squat