Gluten Free/Celiac

Options
Hey!

I’ve just been told I need to go completely gluten free, since I have a severe intolerance to the stuff!

I thought I’d start this thread for anyone who is on my page and feels alone with this one! I know I do!

Let’s support each other!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Are you actually coeliac or intolerant? What tests were used to diagnose?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My husband is gluten intolerant so my evening meal always is. What are you struggling with?
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm a celiac. Fully tested (blood tests and biopsy). Got discovered in the 1990s. There are so many products available nowadays. It has gotten much easier to life glutenfree.

Good luck!
  • BethWilliams24
    BethWilliams24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I’m classed as intolerant. Blood tests have been done. I’m waiting for hospital appointments to come through for further investigation.

Everything I’m doing I’m doing on Doctor’s instruction, but since this is brand new to me, I’m struggling with finding people who understand what it’s like to suddenly not be able to eat things that I’ve never had to think about before!
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed celiac 21 years ago now, my dad, aunt and two uncles all also diagnosed and my 86yo granny is getting tested next week!

It is a big change but honestly in a few months it will be second nature to you, and the variety of alternatives these days is really amazing. Labelling on products is very clear, a lot of restaurants even have it on menus and I can’t remember the last time I asked a waiter about gluten free options and they didn’t know immediately what I could and couldn’t have. You’re going to be absolutely fine!

Are you in the UK or the US? If UK I can point you towards the better brands to try (get your bread sorted first!) or the chain restaurants that are particularly good about it.
    Anna28518 wrote: »
    I'm a celiac. Fully tested (blood tests and biopsy). Got discovered in the 1990s. There are so many products available nowadays. It has gotten much easier to life glutenfree.

Good luck!
    It’s like living in a different universe these last 10 years isn’t it? I found sausage rolls in the supermarket the other week, two decades since I’ve had a sausage roll and it wasn’t anywhere near as good as I remember lol but it’s lovely to have options! God bless the hipsters who latched onto a health craze that does nothing for them, their wasted money puts better baked goods in our mouths <3

• Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    Diagnosed celiac 21 years ago now, my dad, aunt and two uncles all also diagnosed and my 86yo granny is getting tested next week!

It is a big change but honestly in a few months it will be second nature to you, and the variety of alternatives these days is really amazing. Labelling on products is very clear, a lot of restaurants even have it on menus and I can’t remember the last time I asked a waiter about gluten free options and they didn’t know immediately what I could and couldn’t have. You’re going to be absolutely fine!

Are you in the UK or the US? If UK I can point you towards the better brands to try (get your bread sorted first!) or the chain restaurants that are particularly good about it.
    Anna28518 wrote: »

Good luck!
    It’s like living in a different universe these last 10 years isn’t it? I found sausage rolls in the supermarket the other week, two decades since I’ve had a sausage roll and it wasn’t anywhere near as good as I remember lol but it’s lovely to have options! God bless the hipsters who latched onto a health craze that does nothing for them, their wasted money puts better baked goods in our mouths <3

Exactly that!

It's so much easier nowadays.

I'm sorted around my family and friends. They don't know any better. And gf products are widely available. 👍

My cooking is always totally glutenfree and people don't notice the difference.

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hi *waves*. Diagnosed celiac in ‘05. Much easier now to be gluten free than it was back then!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Hi! Almost-but-not-quite: intolerant to starches in gluten-containing cereals, meaning I have to effectively eat gluten free.

It was hard at first, but finding a couple of bread options and a brand of pasta you like will, in my experience, get you pretty far.
  • BethWilliams24
    BethWilliams24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I makes me feel so much better knowing that other people are out there too!