C25K week 5

Options
What is this?!?!?! It escalates every day! And more than doubles the running time on day 3! How am I supposed to do this??

Replies

• WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    You can take your time! I am taking at least 2 times as long to do the program! I know it is harder if you use an app but it is important to not do too much too soon.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s crazy to read the schedule but amazingly is very doable in reality! If you don’t get it the first time, then repeat week 5 until you do. That’s the premise of c25k. You will feel so proud of yourself once you get over the big hump! Remember to run at a SLOWER pace if needed to make the length of time!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I got tired of the time playing with my head, so I just ditched the app and started running a little further each time.

For example: I would run to the next park bench, or tree the next time, and just keep going like that. It was something that I could see in front of me, and not some timer counting down and messing with my head while I was trying to run.

5k is a distance, not a time, so I just kept adding more distance, and now I can run 5 miles. 1.2 miles more and I'll be able to run 10k.

Don't worry about how long it takes as long as you can go a little further each time.

Just something to think about.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I split the distance - so instead of jumping from 12 to 20 minutes, I did 16 + 4. Then the next time I did the 20. I probably could have made the jump, but lacked the confidence to do it. Once I had done the 16 minutes though, I was fine with 20.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Yes it's very mental. I was shocked when I could do it the first attempt. High 5!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Well done! You did it! This is the hardest day in the program.
    Week 5 Day 3 is a mental exercise. You've got to dig deep to believe you can do it. After this, your mental outlook will be stronger. Running is as much a mental achievement as a physical one. You're doing great.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K before my surgery after failing it about a dozen times.

There's a trick to building endurance: SLOW DOWN!!!! Seriously, slowing down so that you can run the time will lead to to being able to run longer. Your speed will naturally and gradually increase as you continue running. Running isn't about speed, it's gait! When I first started and found out that slowing down was the trick, my run was slower than my fast walk. Note: I just ran 5k this morning, for no reason other than I enjoy it. Last year I couldn't run for 2 minutes at a time.

Also, every runner:
    First 3 minutes: I CAN'T DO THIS!!!! WHY AM I DOING THIS????
    Next 3 minutes: Okay, this isn't so bad.
    After about 10 minutes: I can run FOREVER!

After run: That was awesome, I'm hungry!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Good job! I think they do it that way to get you over the mental hurdle or something. I know it's crazy. In one week it goes from 5 minute intervals, to 8, then to 20!