Stupid dumbbell problem

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
The gym I attend used to have lots of dumbbells, varying from 1 to 30 kgs, and from 1 to 12 Kgs they had incrememnts of 1. For most exercises, what I am using at the moment is the range between 6 and 15. And for some, I really was relying on the 1 kgr increments at the moment.
So, today I walk in the gym and SURPRISE they have replace ALL the dumbbell sets. Apparently whoever was in charge of this focused on having a ton of dumbbells in the higher ranges, and just a few in the lower ones, and the sets are only in increments of 5 kilos: 5-10-15 and so on, and I noticed one single pair of 7.5. No idea if they are just stupid or hope to attract a different crowd, as the only result was people arguing over the lower weights, and a ton of 25 and 30s being just untouched.
Anyway, the long term answer is obvious: in two months when it will be time to renew my subscription I am out of there. What do I do in the meantime?
I could increase reps and round down the weights I am using, but eventually I will need to increase weight. But going e.g. for arms from 5 to 10 it is a huge change, same going for shoulders from 10 to 15 (was using the 8 kilo ones for shoulders at the moment).
I was following a large muscle group type of whole body routine and I am using machines for lower body, but really love dummbells for upper body: chest, back, shoulders, with a couple of accessory exercises for biceps and triceps.
My routine was based on start with 8 reps per set on a new weight, work my way up to 12, and then go to next weight starting over from 8. This was perfect with the 1 kilo increments, impossible with the 5 kilo ones!
Barbells are not an option for some exercises, as they only have 20 kilo barbells, and I am not there yet.
Any ideas?
I could just leave tomorrow, but I hate wasting money.
My basic problems at the moment are chest and shoulders, assuming I switch to cable machines for the rest, which is annoying (need to find new exercises) but doable.
Any one can think of exercises to work with these stupid new weights?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Oh how dumb. My gym kind of did this once. They had dumbbells that increased in 2.5 lb increments (so 5# per pair) and then suddenly one day they were gone and only 5 lb increment dumbbells were on the racks. Turned out they were replacing 2.5# pairs with new ones but got rid of the old several weeks before the new came in.

Anyway, one possible way to deal with this is get a pair of small 1 kg plates that you can take with you and then attach with a velcro strip looped through the hole and around the handle in some way. If you're using metric, you're not in the US so I'm not sure what bricks and mortar store might have 1 kg plates but Walmart over here has 2.5 lb standard (1" hole) plates here.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sucks! Did you talk to the staff at the gym about this? Perhaps they have some tucked away somewhere.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, talk to the weight room manager.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Speak to the manager, you are not the only one who will have this problem so if enough people say get lower weights or I'll leave I'm sure they will do something about it!