I've been lying to myself... scale and NSV

Options
I've always struggled with my weight. Always. I was always a little heavier than the other girls when I was in school, and I always seemed to gain fairly easily and quickly. I've never really had a whole lot of confidence in myself, and it's still a constant struggle everyday. Luckily I have a great husband who see's through my BS and tells me I'm beautiful everyday. Most days I struggle to believe him, because I'm me, and that's just how I am, and my subconscious equates beauty to not being heavy. I know that's a load of bull because I know MANY women that are thick and absolutely gorgeous and are very happy with who they are. I'm just not happy who I am at this point.

I've tried many times to lose weight in the past, and I've been successful before, but I get lazy and I always gain it back and usually more. A month ago, I hit my highest weight ever at 238.8 and I'm realizing that I need to do something. At 5'2", that's a lot of weight to carry. School started on the 20th of August and I decided that that was my starting point. I was going to start going to the gym before school because 4 days out of 5, classes start at 7:30, and most days I'm not going home until between 4-5. I started heavily watching my calories and weighing absolutely EVERYTHING.

I struggled to find foods that I could be happy with because I'm lactose intolerant, and most green vegetables like broccoli or cabbage do horrible things to my stomach (even though I love them, it's not worth the aftermath). I was tired of feeling gross all the time. After I started eating better, I wasn't having as much stomach upset. My heartburn is slowly becoming less frequent.

I always thought that my metabolism was just slow, because there have been times that I would go to the gym everyday for weeks and my weight wouldn't budge.. but I also wasn't watching everything that I was eating. I've been on phentermine at least three times and I thought that was the only way that I could lose weight. NOT.

The first week I lost 2 pounds! I was like "holy sh#*!" My husband told me to be wary, it could just be water weight... but then a week later I'd lost another pound. Now here we are 2 1/2 weeks after I started this new journey, and I've lost over 6 pounds! I eat mostly great, and most of the time I'm staying on track with my calorie counts. My husband has even been trying to eat better because of how well I'm doing.

So now I know that I've been in denial the last 10+ years. I CAN lose the weight on my own, and I can lose it QUICKLY and SAFELY!

So to all those out there that are struggling with finding that balance, you can do it! If you finally get the discipline and focus that you need, you can do it! Diet really is the most important thing. I don't go to the gym every day- maybe 3 times a week now, but I'm still losing the weight. It CAN be done :wink: You just have to believe in yourself.

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Great post and so true. Each person has to find their way, and it is so much easier said than done often. I love green peppers too bad my insides hate em to pieces. So I chuckled when I read your line about brocc and cabbage.
    Everyone can do it, once we wrap our minds around it, and get going. I know for me, once the brain is engaged I can do most anything. You go Lady!
  • krystlpierce
    krystlpierce Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I know that it'll slow down eventually! I'm just enjoying the melting while I can :wink:
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I've been where you were too. Amazing how it works when we discover how simple it really is. Not easy but yes, simple. Calories are king. The rest is just noise. Congratulations on your great success and keep at it!
  • krystlpierce
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    I've been where you were too. Amazing how it works when we discover how simple it really is. Not easy but yes, simple. Calories are king. The rest is just noise. Congratulations on your great success and keep at it!

Absolutely! Thank you!
  • Sandythinandfit
    Sandythinandfit Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You're doing great. It's wonderful your husband is so supportive. I agree with the person who said it gets frustrating when you stop losing as fast. It makes me want to throw in the towel. Whatever you are doing is working for you! What I am learning is after I lose the weight I won't be 'done'. I think I'm going to have to log food forever!
    Congrats on doing so well :)
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    great story gz
  • MDL1418
    MDL1418 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And never give up. Doing the right thing is never easy. But you got this!
  • krystlpierce
    Options
    You're doing great. It's wonderful your husband is so supportive. I agree with the person who said it gets frustrating when you stop losing as fast. It makes me want to throw in the towel. Whatever you are doing is working for you! What I am learning is after I lose the weight I won't be 'done'. I think I'm going to have to log food forever!
    Congrats on doing so well :)

Thank you! I'll have to log forever as well or else I'll fall off the wagon again and I don't want that!
  • krystlpierce
    Options
    MDL1418 wrote: »
    Congrats! And never give up. Doing the right thing is never easy. But you got this!

Thank you!
  • krystlpierce
    Options
    Styggian wrote: »
    great story gz

Thanks!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Sounds like this is your time! Loving ourselves enough to see this through is the best part. Glad for you as you discover your strength and unleash that girl inside!!!! Have fun too!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3es3n7f8zi6ef.gif<3<3<3
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are you still going to the gym so very early? As a basically gymphobic person, that would probably be the first place that I'd slip. And once I'd let myself down there following a nutrition plan would follow - slippage. If you can keep it up, great. But I encourage you to focus on the nutrition side of things FIRST, not neglecting fitness but getting your eating style to the point where it's a way of life and then building your exercise plan.
  • krystlpierce
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    Are you still going to the gym so very early? As a basically gymphobic person, that would probably be the first place that I'd slip. And once I'd let myself down there following a nutrition plan would follow - slippage. If you can keep it up, great. But I encourage you to focus on the nutrition side of things FIRST, not neglecting fitness but getting your eating style to the point where it's a way of life and then building your exercise plan.

The diet is my most important focus. As I said in my post, I'm only going to the gym about 3 days a week- and yes very early because this is when I'm most motivated to go. My main focus is my diet for sure, however, I know that in order for me to get the best results that I can get, I need to go to the gym as well. I just don't get upset if I miss a day or 3 lol
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm glad things are working. Please don't get discouraged when your early loss rate tapers, it will. Losing weight is hard, we all have to deal with it. One comment about the gym. Going to the gym doesn't mean anything, it's what you do there that counts right? Like portion sizes, exercise machines lie to you and can be a source of error in your logging. Be conservative in what you take credit for at the gym. Push yourself on workouts, add duration, intensity and mass in small increments. Since diet is your focus I think you are on track. Congrats on success to date!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!