Keto

Options
Hello, I am considering moving to a keto diet. I’m looking for friends that are doing keto I want to know more about how real people are feeling on it and their results. It would be great to see your food log so I have a food guide on this new style of eating.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't log, I call it free range keto (yes I made that up). Search for keto in the groups section. Lots of help there. I started keto July 10th and love it.
  • ashley13ar4561
    ashley13ar4561 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started keto a month ago and yes the first week was tuff but I’ve learned to love it been making everything at home from scratch . I make sure to log everything ahead of time before I eat to make sure I stay in my Macros and my calorie count. So far down 25lbs in 4 weeks.
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love keto!! I love how it makes my body feel!!! Its amazing! I've lost 30ish or so pounds so far!
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Started on August 30th.
    So far I'm doing OK.
    I'm down about 10 pounds in 9 days.
    Mostly water I'm sure.
    I am missing fruit but other than that I'm not feeling deprived.
    I ride my stationary bike 30 minutes twice a day and that is helping.
    I also log everything. If I don't I will over eat my calorie quota.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing (lazy) keto for about six weeks, and I’m down 20lbs; the first 7 or so was water weight. This way of eating feels really sustainable for me, I’ve felt very satisfied on it, not deprived at all, and what I love the most is I have had no desire or urge to binge. I’ve struggled with binge eating my entire life, and the biggest change I’ve seen is that I’m no longer a slave to my appetite. My diary is open, if you want to look at it. I don’t strictly follow the >20g net carbs, provided they’re coming from vegetables- although now that I’m fat adapted, I notice I have more leeway. (Don’t look at this weekend as a great example!!!)

Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few years. Generally, the fewer carbs I eat, the better I feel and the easier weight management is.

My diet is extremely low carb, bordering on carnivore, so it won't appeal to most. I used to include nuts, veggies, seeds frequently. I just dropped added sugars, grains (corn, rice, oatmeal, etc) and foods made from flour (bread, noodles). I also really limited my root veggies to small amounts. My food was nothing special: taco salad, steak with a veggie, bacon and eggs, beanless chilli, etc.

Early on, the key to success is often getting enough sodium, at least 3000-5000 mg a day. Many people fail to do that and then predictably end up with low electrolytes (sometimes called keto flu) with headaches, fatigue, brain fog, moodiness, stomach upset, BM issues, muscle weakness or spasms. It's entirely avoidable though enough salt.

For reference, 2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I do a mix between keto and carb refeeds. The 4 days of keto are around 50g net. These days generally suck for me since i am huge lover of fruit and whole grains. And that is why i love my refeed days.

Although i don't follow a traditional keto diet, so application may not apply to you.
  • JewlzJerome
    JewlzJerome Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been in ketosis for 9 months. Before that I used calorie restriction only and always struggled. Since keto I am very content with a lower caloric intake because fat is much more satisfying than sugar but I am not strict on high fat though. I have found that fat and protein will balance themselves out so I focus mainly on carbs. My goal is set at 5% net carb but I allow myself up to 10%. Somedays end up a bit more depending on the time of the month. I'm down 55 lbs so far. I don't fret on plateaus. I've actually found when I hit a plateau that I can increase my carbs slightly a day or two and usually by the next day or two I've broken thru. My goal is to lose another 10-15 lbs of fat by the end of the year then work on maintaining giving myself leeway to gain back 5-10 pounds after increasing my daily calories while increasing muscle mass. It's not all about weight for me but body composition.