Getting Started

Options
Hi all- I have decided to get more fit at 59 years old. Several years ago, I was using a Chis Powel DVD at home and I liked that it had 3 levels of exercise. I just joined the Y and realized how out of shape I have become- 20 minutes on a stationary bike and I was done. :(. What is the best way to increase my exercise and work on all muscle areas. I was going to take a Spin class at the Y, but realized I would never make it through the class. I know doing nothing will result in nothing, so where do I start?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Does your Y have rowing machines, or a swimming pool? Just build up slowly and find something you enjoy so you will continue it for years to come.

Cycling is cardio. 30 minutes twice a week is good.

Look for strength training in weights. Many people switch off upper body and lower body days. There are structured programs on-line. Starting Strength in one, if your Y has barbells
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to increase my exercise

Slowly. For example, 10 minutes the first day, and add 1-2 minutes each workout. Leave with gas in the tank - don't work to exhaustion for a while. Feel free to walk out of a class early.

If you're inactive, consider going almost daily to the gym, alternating between cardio & strength. A good strength program for older folks is New Rules of Lifting for Life. Or work with a good trainer (google "choosing a good trainer"). :+1:
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    Thank you TeaBea & Cherimoose! I really needed to know this is possible. Cherimoose- thanks for giving me the okay to walk out of the class early....I needed to know that was okay. TeaBea, thanks for some advise on how to approach the fitness. So much appreciated!!