How do you get in enough protein?

Options
I just calculated my TDEE and Macros. I feel like I eat protein all the time and I average about 75g a day. It says I need 138g a day! How do you get in that much protein?

Replies

• Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    On a good day when I am paying attention, I get around 150g. I get 91g of protein from 400g extra lean turkey breast roast (costco). I get 30g from a premier protein shake (also costco). The rest seems to just come from whatever else I eat naturally.

Turkey breast and chicken breast have the most protein of any food out there. The extra lean turkey breast has very little fat, is low in calories and tastes just like chicken anyway.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.

I usually eat about 250 a day
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I had to add a protein shake to crack 100g, which is important especially since I started lifting. I feel like I eat nothing but protein somedays, but the shake still helps. A good chocolate one in milk will get you 42g in one glass.

SN I recommend blending, not just stirring. I find them to be gross when just stirred, but like chocolate milk when blended. Add a tbl of peanut butter for even more protein.
  • yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    On a good day when I am paying attention, I get around 150g. I get 91g of protein from 400g extra lean turkey breast roast (costco). I get 30g from a premier protein shake (also costco). The rest seems to just come from whatever else I eat naturally.

Turkey breast and chicken breast have the most protein of any food out there. The extra lean turkey breast has very little fat, is low in calories and tastes just like chicken anyway.

That seems doable! Thanks

I tend to go for yogurt, string cheese, protein shakes..but they average 10g - 20g
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If you find a high quality whey protein powder you should be getting 25g per scoop of protein.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Fish is also a great source of protein and typically lower in calories than land based foods.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of white meats and protein supplements: Optimum Nutrition Gold and Pro Complex, Pure Protein and quest bars. I average around 150-180 grams a day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My first priority in each meal is protein source, then fat, fill the rest with carbs if I want. I try to get protein in each meal - lean meats and fish, greek yogurt (when I could eat it), etc. You don't have to have a normal snack, you can have chunks of chicken for a snack. I also eat those tuna kits with a little tuna and crackers. When all else fails - protein powder or a good protein bar.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert in this area, but that seems like an incredibly high protein requirement for a female. Even one doing weight training. Are you really really tall maybe? And doing like tons of weight training? Otherwise I can't figure out why your protein macro is so high...
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Protein powder can be mixed into just about anything. :)
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of white meats and protein supplements: Optimum Nutrition Gold and Pro Complex, Pure Protein and quest bars. I average around 150-180 grams a day.

Really? That's just an amazingly huge amount of protein to me. But it's not like I'm an expert in this area. Are you a heavy lifter? Is that why you need so much? I'm just curious, for my own education.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Fish is also a great source of protein and typically lower in calories than land based foods.

Yes, a small tilapia filet has 20g, and you can eat 3 of them fairly easy.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have to eat 138 as well... it's a lot and I feel full all the time but a few things helped...

- Increasing the amount of meat I eat at a meal. I went from 3-4 oz to 6-8 per meal
    - Adding cheese and dairy back into my diet (cottage cheese and greek yogurt have 14-17 grams per serving!)
    - Whey protein powder.. I reccomend nutrisport pro7tein (153 cals/34g) which is a pre-digested whey and helps curb the (ah-hem... constipation)
    - Speaking of ... taking a pro-biotic is important to help digest all the protein properly

Enjoy!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm not an expert in this area, but that seems like an incredibly high protein requirement for a female. Even one doing weight training. Are you really really tall maybe? And doing like tons of weight training? Otherwise I can't figure out why your protein macro is so high...

While I do lift weights, my goal was similar so I don't think it is incredibly high for a female, especially one working out.
    I'm not tall either.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You probably do not need that much protein unless your lean body mass is 140lb. That number sounds like you are using your actual body mass. Some suggest 0.8 - 1.0 g/lbm for females.

If that is the correct number, its not that hard once you get used to it. Divide the 140 by however many meals you like to eat each day and get er done. I regularly eat 40 - 50g/meal.
  • Lisalisaw4
    Lisalisaw4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite tricks is to mix a scoop of vanilla protein powder with a container of greek yogurt and top with walnuts....yummmyyyy and it helps push those proteins up :)
  • yobby1969
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and working out 6 days a week. I weigh A LOT! Working on that. lol I don't look my weight thankfully =)

All good ideas! I realize, looking back through my diary, that I'm a total carb addict. I snack on fruit, veggies and hummus. My meals have been within my calories, but 70% carb. I can definitely do better! Thanks
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Really? That's just an amazingly huge amount of protein to me. But it's not like I'm an expert in this area. Are you a heavy lifter? Is that why you need so much? I'm just curious, for my own education.

I'm not an expert either but I try to at least break 100 each day. I've started a heavy lifting program which has made me even more cognizant of my intake. It's all in a bid to keep as much LBM while eating at a deficit thus reducing the amount of body recomposition to be done at goal weight (as opposed to not following a lifting program).
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and working out 6 days a week. I weigh A LOT! Working on that. lol I don't look my weight thankfully =)

All good ideas! I realize, looking back through my diary, that I'm a total carb addict. I snack on fruit, veggies and hummus. My meals have been within my calories, but 70% carb. I can definitely do better! Thanks

Yup, that's why I made carbs my last focus, I have no problem getting carbs. My snacks were the biggest problem, almost every snack I ate was carb heavy. I also found that making one meal with low carbs like chicken and salad or veggies made it a lot easier to balance.

(not afraid of carbs, just trying to balance my macros).
  • yobby1969
    Options
    I have consistently stayed within my calories, burn crazy calories and keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. I've had some friends have huge success counting macros. Thought I would give it a try!