When you're going it alone

Options
There has to be people out there with spouses or significant others who don't care at all about their physical appearance.
So, knowing that, what motivates you to keep in good shape? I think that is partly what throws me off on my dieting/fitness routine. When it gets hard juggling working, kids, fitness, eating healthy, I let the fact that my husband doesn't care get into my head. I know it's all mental. He's not stopping me from working out, he helps and buys good choices for me in the fridge. He's not sabotaging me in any way.
I've tried to include him, asking him to go running, work out with me in the living room, got him membership to my gym, but I don't think he wants to work out or get in better shape.
I want to not care about what he does/doesn't do, but I can't help it... is that normal? Why does my brain say stuff like "why bother with all this stuff Sadie, your husband doesn't care why should you??"

sigh... i don't know anymore... (sips wine)

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    the problem is you seem to equate someone other than yourself to be responsible for motivation of your goals...
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    i know.. it's crazy.

i know i'm not the type to sit and give up on myself.. he is. so i wonder, why should i care sometimes... part of me would love to just eat whatever i want, gain weight, not care about my appearance, etc. so maybe i'm jealous that he is that way?

I don't know.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    sorry thought this was something different entirely…
  • Cori_Mac
    Cori_Mac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My boyfriend of 6+ years buys all kinds of crap for himself and doesn't seem to want to change, while I'm working hard to lose the weight I've put on in the last several years. I gained over 40 while he's gained about 100. It's hard and very frustrating. I try to gently encourage him to drink water instead of soda and have chicken instead of McDonalds, however I've decided to give up. I canceled the membership I bought for him to my gym because he never used it.

It's my life I'm living, and he's going to have to live his own.

I say we do what we need to do for our health.

That being said, I again reiterate that it's hell watching someone you care about becoming more and more unhealthy. Feel free to add me, and we can spur each other on. :)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are looking for excuses...You should be doing it for you, not for anybody elses approval....
  • sadiebrawl
    Options
    I have to disagree, if I were looking for excuses I wouldn't have lost 30lbs already and run 10-12 miles a week.

I'm not going to give up on my own goals. I'm just frustrated that the man I'm spending my life with has none.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    He simply has different goals/perception for himself than you have. That's why you're two different people ;)

My husband doesn't work out either, at least not now. He's more of a weights kind of guy (from the past). It's like having different interests. I might be into walking/running, but he's into gaming. No biggie. We're different. :)

Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    When I look in the mirror, I see myself.
    When I plan my workouts for the week, they're my workouts.
    When I want to be healthy to see my daughter grow old, I'm planning for my own health.

My wife looks in the mirror and sees herself. She's in charge of her workouts. She controls what food she eats.

We're together, but also "alone" in that we're each in charge of our own bodies and health.

I'm happy that she chooses to be fit and healthy too. She doesn't work out with me. I don't get up at 5am to walk the dog and hit the rowing machine with her. I often eat 800+ more calories per day than she does, because duh.

Sorry your guy doesn't take care of himself. Hopefully he comes around. Keep on keepin on. Good luck.
  • sav3175
    sav3175 Posts: 47
    Options
    maybe a support group would help ultimately staying healthy is for you but i understand why his lack of concern would make you a little less motivated to succeed ive been there i was in relationships where i was told i was just fine and i let myself gain until i was 246lbs i wish someone had said i wasnt fine cuz i wasnt healthy are you in any support groups cuz im in one that helps me stay on track and motivated
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    my fiance will walk with me and go to the gym with me but he eats whatever he wants but he supports me.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I hate having to go it alone.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree, if I were looking for excuses I wouldn't have lost 30lbs already and run 10-12 miles a week.

I'm not going to give up on my own goals. I'm just frustrated that the man I'm spending my life with has none.

Either get marriage counseling or divorce. It's really that simple
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    the problem is you seem to equate someone other than yourself to be responsible for motivation of your goals...

^This right here....

/endthread
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I want to not care about what he does/doesn't do, but I can't help it... is that normal? Why does my brain say stuff like "why bother with all this stuff Sadie, your husband doesn't care why should you??"

sigh... i don't know anymore... (sips wine)

I have no family whatsover and live by myself. That has it's pros and cons, but as far as weight loss, general health & fitness are concerned I kind of like it. Everyone I know tends to blame their family, spouses and circumstances for why they cannot do certain things. I don't have that excuse. I either do something, or I don't and no matter what I need to take responsibility for it. Maybe you need to train yourself to think that what you do is for your body, your life and your life's circumstances. While yes, it would be great for you if your husband would actively support you, you still have to do whatever it is and you might as well do it alone instead of not at all. It's your life after all.
    Good luck !
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    My husband isn't at all interested in fitness and found me perfectly attractive before I lost weight. I did/do this for me. Originally so I wouldn't be embarrassed by getting out of breath walking with coworkers and feel self conscious about my appearance and to hopefully be able to walk when I'm old ;). Now I do it because I love it too :happy:

I wish my husband shared my passion but he ha s interests I don't share (world of Warcraft, baseball ;)) and we still have a great time together and love each other without having all the same hobbies. I do worry about his health but obviously that doesn't stop me from going for my goals :)
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    story of my life...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Does he eat the healthy foods you and he both buy rather than junk crap? If so maybe focus on the fact that he's doing the nutrition thing right and maybe he'll come around on the fitness side someday. After all, a lot of people just exclusively focus on nutrition and not so much the exercise part of getting healthy
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from.

My husband is one of the most loving and accepting people I've ever met, and he has never once in 12 years hinted that he cares about my weight, what I wear, my makeup...anything. Obviously he has preferences, but I've never gone to any extreme so he's ok. I've always had atrociously low self-esteem, so he's way more concerned with me being happy with myself as I am, rather than changing.

So anyway, as with everything there are definitely downsides. While he might be cheering me on, it's definitely from the sidelines, and if I say "to hell with it all" he wouldn't bat an eye, or push me when I need a push. He's not going to join the gym or start counting calories or go on runs with me.

I had to summon a lot of strength up to decide to make such drastic changes in my life without someone there doing it with me. Even more to stick it out during the times when I don't really want to, knowing I could stop with pretty much zero accountability. But it's such a growth for me - there's so much more to be proud of than pounds lost, you know? It's something that I'm doing ONLY for me, only through my own strength.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't care weather I loose weight or not ... he is however very supportive. It isn't really that he doesn't care, he is proud of the progress I've made. He will help me get time for my workouts. He will go watch my races and drive across the state to pick me up from the end of my bike tour. So to say he doesn't care isn't quite right ... It is that the weight loss isn't a requirement for his love and dedication to me. He won't bike with me, he won't hike more than a mile and a half with me, and he won't go swimming with me. What he does is fish, and he doesn't want company when he fishes. When people ask him if he bikes with me he says "She rides, and I fish." :happy:
  • sadiebrawl
    Options
    Thank you all.. especially the last two posters.... Made me think a lot about my own feelings towards this.