Student Athlete - Nutrition Help Needed!

Options
Last year my daughter started playing Lacrosse. It was a new sport for her school and she made the Varsity team. This past summer she decided to really focus on conditioning to prepare for the new school year. She worked hard all summer with a trainer and has made incredible progress. She is 15 years old, 5'6", and weighs 110lbs (she lost 20 lbs this summer).

Her off season Lacrosse schedule is starting today and this includes weight room and conditioning Monday and Thursday, skills training Sunday and Wednesday, and she wants to continue with her trainer any chance she can. I feel like she does not need to lose anymore weight. Also, she is not eating properly to support the training regimen she is currently on and she is adding more with the off season Lacrosse schedule.

I was never an athlete. I do have basic knowledge on what she should be eating, but I was hoping someone could guide us on some ideas for healthy breakfasts on the go, easy lunches to carry to school, and snacks. She goes right from school to the weight room and then right to conditioning (all running drills). We need to come up with a good snack to give her energy after school to finish out her day.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I am worried that she is going to get carried away with working out = losing weight. I want to guide her with proper nutrition now so that we can try to avoid that. I want her to see that working out + proper nutrition = better performance in Lacrosse. That's what she needs to be aiming for.

Thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    did she deliberately lose 20lbs over summer? she is very light and borderline underweight?
  • JG941
    JG941 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    No, she did not intentionally lose weight. We were both a little surprised when she was weighed at the doctor. I wouldn't say I was shocked because she had been working out 3-4 days a week with the trainer all summer and she has not changed her diet to accommodate the extra calories she is burning. She has always been on the thinner side and has very dainty, small bones. I am not sure how to describe that, but I am sure you know what I mean.

She went to her skills training on Sunday morning and said that she does not know why she was so tired after every drill. I have been getting on her about eating better all summer, but this was the first time she could really see how her nutrition affected her performance. So, I really wanted to jump on this while she is aware of it.

We are going to talk to her coaches and her trainer. I was just thinking someone might have some go-to snacks or lunches that really help them before training.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Is there a sports medicine program in your area that might have a dietitian she could meet with? I've found that dietitians -- not nutritionists, but actual proper RDs -- are really good at brainstorming ideas, and coming up with ways to fit food in in a way that doesn't feel too burdensome.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JG941 wrote: »
    No, she did not intentionally lose weight. We were both a little surprised when she was weighed at the doctor. I wouldn't say I was shocked because she had been working out 3-4 days a week with the trainer all summer and she has not changed her diet to accommodate the extra calories she is burning. She has always been on the thinner side and has very dainty, small bones. I am not sure how to describe that, but I am sure you know what I mean.

She went to her skills training on Sunday morning and said that she does not know why she was so tired after every drill. I have been getting on her about eating better all summer, but this was the first time she could really see how her nutrition affected her performance. So, I really wanted to jump on this while she is aware of it.

We are going to talk to her coaches and her trainer. I was just thinking someone might have some go-to snacks or lunches that really help them before training.

FYI most trainer and coaching certificates don't allow specific diet advice. As someone else mentioned a Registered Dietitian

Best of luck.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    She just needs to eat more in general. Whatever she likes and whatever sits okay in her stomach before training.

Agreed. Keep it simple. If there aren't overarching health/nutritional concerns, then just get her eating a bit more of whatever she is already eating.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have two hockey playing kids, my daughter is 17 yrs old, 5' tall and weighs maybe 95#. She is small and completely ripped. She is also a vegetarian and I do my best to make sure she gets protein at all meals. She does protein shakes on workout days and I make protein pancakes and oatmeal peanut butter balls in large batches so she can grab, eat and go. She knows the difference in her playing skills and how she feels when she eats junk food so she doesn't eat a lot of sugar and crap. She does love her ice cream almost every night. She also gets headaches when she over-trains/plays and doesnt fuel properly. Some of this she has learned the hard way by feeling ill and having cramps. It would be nice if kids just listened and did what we said but they ususally live and learn.

My son plays college hockey now and is very good at nutrition at this point. He is 23 so its about time.

I understand your concerns. My advice would be to make healthy meals and snacks at home without making it a big deal. The night before a training session, make the dinner and snacks count. You can fuel her body without her really knowing or thinking about it.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    JG941 wrote: »

FYI most trainer and coaching certificates don't allow specific diet advice. As someone else mentioned a Registered Dietitian

Best of luck.

And a trainer at a gym might not be used to working with teens and might not realize the caloric needs of someone still growing and developing. Seems like most folks who work with trainers want to lose weight and your daughter's trainer might have a hard time shifting out of that mindset.

Lacrosse is a tough sport. She needs to build strength and a little bulk wouldn't hurt or she'll get knocked all over the field.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink this too much. She needs a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat. Make sure she fuels up before training and has the energy to push through.

Did the weight change coincide with a growth spurt or other body change?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing at this point is probably just that she gets more calories in. Look at calorie-dense options. Nuts, oils, cheese, etc.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice upthread. Liquid calories can help. Like milk at meals and sports drinks at the gym. Energy bars in the backpack. Hikers mix on the counter at home.