Weight Training

Options
Hello,
I’m trying to calculate the calories burned as a result of weight training but I’m not clear on how and I can’t really find anything concrete online. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Look in the 'cardio' exercise section of your diary under 'strength training'.

Put in your total minutes (inc rests) it is quite a low calorie burn so you could start by eating back all the cals.
    If after 3-4 weeks of accurate food logging, and consistently eating back exercise cals, you are not losing at your expected rate, or losing to fast, adjust your exercise cals up or down.

Cheers, h.

There is no calorie burn for individual exercises, one just logs the total time spent lifting.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Due to the small calorie burn, I don’t add lifting calories.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I've used a spreadsheet I found on reddit to back-calculate my TDEE for over a year now. I lift 4-6 days/week for around 60 min/session and my data shows I only get about a 10% bump over estimated sedentary maintenance for my lifting, which works out to around 225 calories. It would really surprise me to see anyone getting too much more than that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Due to the small calorie burn, I don’t add lifting calories.

I noted this when I first started lifting, so didn't eat back my calories.

Pretty soon I was tired all the time and close to burnt out. I was also slowly losing weight when I was about 5yr into a very steady maintenance.

I started to eat back 200 for each session, a rounding out of the MFP cal allotment,
    My weight stabilized after getting back to my mid maintenance number, and I have been steady ever since.

I put this in because eating back your lifting cals can be an option, but when you notice adverse effects it is best to jump on them immediately.

By the way I am short, light, and a little older than most, so my maintenance cals are low and 200 cals from lifting is a big cal boost.

Cheers, h.
  • patcasullo1
    patcasullo1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    According to my fitbit I burn about 200 calories doing 60 minutes of weight lifting. It's not much but I'll take it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In this list:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjdGl2aXRpZXN8Z3g6MjdiN2Y3NzAwYTU1YWExZQ

MET's is your BMR down to per min burn x multiplier given.

Other column is study that is based on.
  • patcasullo1
    patcasullo1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone