How long before exercise causes weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I think I left some details out. I'd managed to keep a deficit all week but not as much as I wanted, so I calculated the exercise (walking) I needed to burn off those extra calories from the week.

According to the mfp exercise calculator, I more than did that. I do walk every day, I just wondered if a big walk like that would show up sooner rather than later.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    You can't out-exercise your fork.

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. And scale fluctuations will sometimes mask fat loss, for various reasons. Retaining water after exercise is one of those reasons.

^^^^^ This. Also, really amazing workouts tend to leave people with really amazing appetites, this includes me. Post run, I want to eat everything!!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Later. It shows up later with consistency.

You might notice a temporary gain as enthusiastic exercise causes the muscles to swell with extra water (water weight) for a few days.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Woodsmoke wrote: »
    I think I left some details out. I'd managed to keep a deficit all week but not as much as I wanted, so I calculated the exercise (walking) I needed to burn off those extra calories from the week.

According to the mfp exercise calculator, I more than did that. I do walk every day, I just wondered if a big walk like that would show up sooner rather than later.

You are likely just not waiting long enough to see the results of your work! Every body works differently and every body burns fat differently. When I got started and even now I only weigh in once a month! Week to week is too often and has too many variables for me personally. This is a journey, not a sprint! Slow down and keep yourself consistent. Your body isn't a slot machine that you put "work" coins into and "fat loss" just pops out!
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Wow. Ok, I am not saying this to be mean, but to honest and hopefully, helpful. If you are expecting to see a noticeable difference in your weight from one 10K walk, then you need to seriously re-evaluate your expectations and your plan here. Weight loss not only takes time and patience, but it also takes a bit of faith. Faith in knowing that if you stick with it, you will see the results you are expecting, it just isn't going to happen over night. We live in a world of instant gratification, which is why so many people fail at this. Weight loss isn't about instant results and there is no way to make it happen that way. You have to develop a plan of eating and exercise that you can sustain and actually enjoy because it is going to take time. If walking 10K feels daunting and leaves you sore, then try walking 5k instead. If eating 1200 calories per day leaves you hungry and grouchy, then eat 1500 instead. The point is, if what you are doing seems too hard, you aren't going to stick with it. Make it easier on yourself and be patient. It will happen, it just takes time, patience and persistence. And reasonable expectations. Wishing you the best of luck!

Was going to post a different version of this. But basically what she said. It takes a lot longer than you think, sustained effort over time. Not a week, either. Or a month.

Just as you didn't gain weight by sitting down and eating one afternoon, you aren't going to lose weight walking and eating well one afternoon.

One woman on youtube lost 80lbs in a year. She suggested staying off the scale for months at a time, because it took her 6 months to see any results. She went from over 200lbs to model thin in a year, but six months of hard work and dieting without seeing results.

You expect change in one day.

If you want great results, prepare yourself for the long haul. And you can do it, if you take the advice of porter229 the woman quoted above.
  • LilmissNm
    LilmissNm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh dear if you're expecting to lose the weight that quick, I'm sorry you are in for some disappointing times. Weight loss takes time and is dependent on your food intake rather than exercising. Take a deep breath and take it steady rather than jumping on the scale every day use your clothing as an indicator of how well you are doing. Give yourself a week or so then if you must try the scale but remember there will be times when you naturally put on a little weight. Slow and steady.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. That is, exercise does not cause a drop in weight. Burning more calories than you take in causes a drop in weight. If you are not in a calorie deficit, then no matter how much you exercise, then you will not lose weight.

In addition, one workout is not going to cause your body fat to decrease in any noticeable way. If your weight changes after one workout, it will be due to water weight fluctuation, not long term fat loss. Weight loss is a process, not a one-day event.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    This might make you sad for a moment, but stick with me.

I can ride my bicycle 40+ miles, eat in a caloric deficit and weight MORE the next day.

Why? My body is hanging on to water to repair any muscles needing repair after that effort.

I think I gained 4 pounds over labor day weekend after getting in 85.5 miles worth of cycling and probably being in a 2000-3000 or so calorie deficit.

Of course. later in the week, I was down those 4 pounds and another pound or pound an a half.

But as others have said or at least alluded to, it's more about what you eat than your exercise.

I was working out 4 to 6 days a week and still got up to 265+ pounds. I could lie to myself because I was big, broad shouldered, and looked 30 pounds lighter than I was. People still don't believe that I'm over 200 pounds, and I'm down to 215.

It took watching what was on the end of my fork. Tracking what I eat and being accurate with the calorie dense foods I ate such as dairy, nut butters, meats, sauces, alcohol, etc.

I don't weight my spinach, but I do weight milk, cheese, meat, nuts and similar.

I know it's trite, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. And the biggest lever you have is your fork. Do that part right and you cannot help but to lose weight.

Don't let day to day fluctuations get to you. Your body will use fat when you consume fewer calories than you burn. Stay the course and take a long term approach with periodic, not necessarily daily checks.

I check about 1x per week and I'm losing between 1 and 2 pounds each week.

If I looked everyday, or at least if I panicked over daily fluctuations, nothing good would happen.

I'm looking at the long term trend.

It took time to put it on, and to make a lifestyle change, it will take time to both change your habits and to lose the weight. Slow and steady is the long term winning strategy here.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my food diary is open. I just logged the two hard boiled eggs I had as an afternoon snack. Headed to the gym soon as Thursday is my two-a-day cycle class day....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    It doesn't. That is, exercise does not cause a drop in weight. Burning more calories than you take in causes a drop in weight. If you are not in a calorie deficit, then no matter how much you exercise, then you will not lose weight.

How do you burn more calories than you take in?
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Mainly by taking in fewer calories (eat less). Exercise can help but it is easily dwarfed by eating. You can easily eat 1,000 calories in a few minutes... it would take well over an hour for most people to come close to 1,000 calories.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Calories for weight.
    Exercise for health.

Eating at a deficit is what causes weight loss. Exercise may help with remaining at a deficit, but in itself doesn't cause weight loss.

Exercise for strength
    Nutrition for health
  • Machka9
    Options

Mainly by taking in fewer calories (eat less). Exercise can help but it is easily dwarfed by eating. You can easily eat 1,000 calories in a few minutes... it would take well over an hour for most people to come close to 1,000 calories.

But ... how do you BURN calories?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

But ... how do you BURN calories?

You’re missing the point. Your body burns calories just by being alive. It also burns calories through exercise. This does not mean that exercise causes weight loss, because you are only looking at one side of the equation: the output side. You also need to consider the input side: how many calories you eat.

If your output is greater than your input, then you lose weight. This is true regardless of whether your output includes any exercise or not.

If your output is less than your input, then you gain weight. This is true regardless of how much exercise you do.

Exercise does not cause weight loss. Being in a calorie deficit causes weight loss.
  • Machka9
    Options
    FYI
    I'll just leave these here ...

How Does Fat Leave the Body
    https://www.verywellfit.com/how-does-fat-leave-the-body-4165132

Majority of weight loss occurs 'via breathing'
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287046.php

• Machka9
    edited September 2018
    Options
    And ...

You can lose weight by ...

-- eating less
    -- exercising more
    -- eating less and exercising more

I've done all three at one time or another. :)

Also ...

https://theconversation.com/when-we-lose-weight-where-does-it-go-91594