Recommend a smoothie/blender/chopper?

Options
zamphir66
zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
I have a Ninja right now, and it works great for both making smoothies and processing things, but I have two problems with it:
1. It's too big for just me. I need 2 servings of smoothie at most, not 6.
2. It's design is such that cleaning is really tough. There's a grime buildup in the top of the lids that I just can't reach. Honestly, this problem is bigger to me than #1.

So, can anyone recommend a tool that solves these problems?

Replies

• dchriste0417
    dchriste0417 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter uses the Bullet. It is individual sized containers that you place on a small motorized blade component. The container is dishwasher safe and the blade component is very easy to hand wash. She loves it and I have enjoyed using it as well.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i love my Nutribullet and I have a cheap food processor for chopping.
  • zamphir66
    Options
    Are bullet and nutribullet the same thing? And you can get into the nooks of the thing. My ninja be gross.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Are bullet and nutribullet the same thing? And you can get into the nooks of the thing. My ninja be gross.

there's the magic bullet and the nutribullet. the nutribullet is larger and more powerful. It is very easy to clean provided you give it a good rinse right away after using. I usually rinse it right away then leave it in the sink for a soap wash after later. it's great for smoothies and ice slushies.
  • zamphir66
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Vitamix. Nothing else really compares.

While you may be right, my budget unfortunately doesn't run into 3 figures.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    We bought the Bosch chopper for mincing and pureeing quantities too small for the regular food processor. It's really cute too.
    https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/food-preparation/choppers/MMR08R1GB
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I love my immersion blender- you can make smoothies in whatever cup you have and it's super easy to clean.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    farberware./ 20 bucks and it services all my chop/smoothie needs.
  • SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a Vitamix and it is great but I find it's not good for single or small portions. I end up using my immersion blender more often.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    In addition to the magic- and nutri- varieties, Ninja also makes a bullet, which is what I bought after my magic bullet bit the dust after years of noble service.
  • SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a Vitamix and it is great but I find it's not good for single or small portions. I end up using my immersion blender more often.

Why? I use mine all the time and 99% I cook for one. Just because the jar is big does not mean you have to fill it.

I find that the way the blades are positioned and the width of the bottom of the jug makes it less effective with small amounts, additionally it seems with a single serve that I leave half the contents stuck to the sides or bottom of the jug. For small servings I find my immersions blender is usually easier and I can often use it in the cup/container I'll be drinking or eating from.

I'm lucky to have both tools in my kitchen but the Vitamix is a big expense for something that I find isn't ideal for 100% of my blending needs, although I'd buy again even if only to make the amazing cream-free creamy soups it does so well!
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    farberware./ 20 bucks and it services all my chop/smoothie needs.

I 2nd this!
  • Ms_Lezli
    Ms_Lezli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Vitamix is best. It is expensive but it lasts forever. I’ve used mine almost daily for 6+ years and it’s never let me down. There are no chunks of unblended food and it’s easy to clean. Smoothie for one or 5 is no problem. Costco has the best prices I’ve seen.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have a Ninja Pro model...blender cup, processor cup, and two smoothie cups, one larger than the other. I use them for smoothies all the time. It works great. The blender is actually far larger than I need, so it doesn’t get much use. The processor is nice for pesto and such, but doesn’t do grating or slicing, so I get out my other processor for that when I need to. I bought the machine mostly for smoothies and other purée functions, and I’m very happy with it for that.
  • sj_cook23
    sj_cook23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gave away my Vitamix, because everything just spun at the bottom and you always had to use the pusher to get it to process it all. I now have a Ninja, which has blades on multiple levels. The blades come out! so you can wash it well. it has a smoothie setting that pulses short then pulses long. It's great!!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I bought a retro vitamix and it could smooth out a cardboard box if need be.Great buy for me on ebay with its red/black and stainless steel style.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

Vitamix. Nothing else really compares.

While you may be right, my budget unfortunately doesn't run into 3 figures.

Check the thrift stores. It might take a few trips but I've seen them at Goodwill.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!!!!!