Food @ a wedding

Options
Hey all!

My brother and his fiance are getting married on Sunday! Yay! I am a bridesmaid and will be giving a speech but somehow I'm more worried about logging calories.

What is the best way to log calories when you're not exactly sure the ingredients? When I type in just the name it gives all different options and all the calories are different.

I am going to let myself enjoy the day and have some drinks, but I'd at least like to know what the range of calories will be.

So long story short, what is the best way to log food when you're not preparing it/it's not already in MFP/you're not sure of the accuracy of what's on MFP?

Thanks in advance!😁

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Agree 100% with TToad.

Just enjoy the day.

I went to the Fair recently. I just kind of guessed. Nothing bad happened. :) I don't like having blank days in my logging so that's how I handle it but I don't know if I was close or if I was off by 2000 calories in my guess. Doesn't really matter in the long run.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would just not worry about it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would also not worry about it.
    If you want to log something you could just choose the higher calorie entries for the most similar items you can find.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

What is the best way to log calories when you're not exactly sure the ingredients? When I type in just the name it gives all different options and all the calories are different.

I am going to let myself enjoy the day and have some drinks, but I'd at least like to know what the range of calories will be.

So long story short, what is the best way to log food when you're not preparing it/it's not already in MFP/you're not sure of the accuracy of what's on MFP?

I would break down the ingredients and log estimated quantities that way OR I would look up a similar dish on a restaurant website and use that nutrition info.

Regardless of the event, building the skills to be able to estimate calories/portion sizes is a good thing. One thing that may help is googling "serving size chart" and looking at the image results. There are a lot of guides comparing common serving sizes to various objects (a deck of cards, your fist, a baseball, etc.)
  • joann23456
    joann23456 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I look up similar dishes and just estimate high.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do you have any idea what sort of food - is it passed appetizers or plated dinner? Might determine how easy it will be to estimate...
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I do like a couple of other posters and take a similar restaurant food on the high side. I am hung up on always logging without exception.
  • nder00ij
    nder00ij Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to log it, I'd indeed pick similar foods from different restaurants that are in the food database and aim high.

I think I would personally log it at the end of the day when the wedding is over though, I wouldn't want to feel guilty for what I'm eating and potentially less enjoy the wedding ;)

Enjoy the wedding on Sunday!!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am on the fence about this one. I think it's important to create good habits with logging, but it's your brother's wedding and I feel like you should be 100% present to enjoy that. With that in mind, I think logging during or afterwards ends up having you thinking about it in the back of your mind the whole time.

Since it's your brother's wedding and you are part of the wedding party, I'm assuming you have a pretty good idea of what food and drink will be at the wedding. Use this knowledge to pre log the food that your are likely to eat, estimating high as others have said. Then, at the wedding try to stick to that. However, don't deny yourself the treats or beat yourself up for eating outside of your pre logged food. I wouldn't go hog wild but an extra drink isn't going to be the end of the world. For perspective: you'd have to eat 3,500 calories over maintenance to put on 1 actual pound (I say that because you'll notice some water weight gain). Is 1 pound a big deal in the grand scheme of things? It may sting the pride a little bit if like to think that a pound is worth being able to thoroughly enjoy the wedding.

Congrats to your brother and have fun!!