Low carb baked goods without nut flours

Options
brightsideofpink
brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
I'm currently following a low carb approach (under 40 total carbs/day) and meals are going well. But I want to experiment with some treats and baked goods. Most recipes I find have nut flours. My son is anaphylactic to tree nuts and I don't even let them enter my house, much less eat them. My google search is disappointing. Does anybody have a favorite baked good recipe that is low carb and doesn't use nut flours? Peanuts are okay.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Use quest unflavored multipurpose baking protein or find recipes that use protein powder instead. Your kinda at a pit since you want low carb but no nut flours....
    Can he has coconut flour? Vital wheat gluten?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Meringues
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i just saw a recipe for flourless chocolate cake in a magazine. sounded really good. still had sugar in it though.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    low carb without nut flour would be tricky, in my experience. And I don't know enough about his condition to know if Flax (Linseed) flour would be an issue. Having said that, I haven't done a flax recipe that isn't better using coconut or almond instead :|

I make a flatbread using a combination of flax and coconut flour that is very nice if you want the recipe
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I used to use a PB cookie recipe that only had eggs, PB and sugar. I don't know if you could use a sugar substitute but they are great cookies if you want to avoid grains.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    I used to use a PB cookie recipe that only had eggs, PB and sugar. I don't know if you could use a sugar substitute but they are great cookies if you want to avoid grains.

Isn't PB peanuts? :o

ETA> Ignore me. Just noticed the bit at the ends saying "peanuts are ok"
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! He can have coconut as well- no allergy there. I'll have to research flax flour as I've never heard of it. I may just have to avoid baking and stick to other types of treats.