Anyone use plant protein instead of whey?

Probably a silly question, but any differences in gains that you’ve noticed? I’m thinking of making the switch because I’m realizing that whey gives me some bloat. Are there any good complete plant proteins on the market that anyone can recommend?

Replies

• yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited September 2018
    maybe have look into pea protein. I've been using it for about year now. I like it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Not a silly question in the least.

Depending on your goals there are choices.

If your goal is adding lean body mass through a bulk or retaining muscle during a cut, you will need not only protien but around 3 grams of leucine per serving. Without leucine, protien synthesis cannot take place. So no leucine, the shake it literally just calories that you probably would find more enjoyable ygrough consuming food.

Vega sport has 15g of protien and 2.9 grams of leucine which would fit the goals mentioned above.

If your goal is just to add calories, then I would defer to a search with the Google machine.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    i've tried hemp protein. very yummy, but it goes bad after a while so it has to be fresh.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

If your goal is adding lean body mass through a bulk or retaining muscle during a cut, you will need not only protien but around 3 grams of leucine per serving. Without leucine, protien synthesis cannot take place. So no leucine, the shake it literally just calories that you probably would find more enjoyable ygrough consuming food.

Vega sport has 15g of protien and 2.9 grams of leucine which would fit the goals mentioned above.

If your goal is just to add calories, then I would defer to a search with the Google machine.

Interesting - I learned something new today!

I've been using Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal - I like it, suits my needs to have a quick and easy breakfast. The Garden of Life Plant Based Sport line does have luecine in it although I have not tried it.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Ha! I switched to Soy protein for the same reason as you.
  • cenianunez
    cenianunez Posts: 1 Member
    I'm lactose intolerant so I use a plant based protein since whey protein is derived from cow's milk. I personally use Vega Sport Performance Protein mixed with unsweetened almond milk and I love it.
  • jmundy1011
    jmundy1011 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    I had the same exact problem, so I went over to plant based. With a lot of trial and error and some research on ingredients, and where it's manufactured, I found two that I really like: ProMix Pea Protein and Less Naked Pea. Now, they're not the best tasting, but with a little banana, peanut butter and almond milk, they're actually not terrible.

I also found an article you might find interesting:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/dietary-supplements/heavy-metals-in-protein-supplements/
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    AJB1014 wrote: »

I've been using Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal - I like it, suits my needs to have a quick and easy breakfast. The Garden of Life Plant Based Sport line does have luecine in it although I have not tried it.

Not trying to negate the original poster, but that’s actually incorrect assuming you’re getting other sources of protein, your body will utilize the protein from non complete forms. Saying it’s “just calories” since it doesn’t have leucine is ridiculous. If you’re also eating meats, seafood, dairy...etc, you’ll be fine choosing a plant based that doesn’t have a complete profile (most do anyways nowadays or do blends do complete the amino profile). But your body also has an amino acid pool. So technically that poster is correct in that leucine is important for MPS, but is wrong in that you don’t need a specific protein (esp some brands are way overpriced) if you’re getting multiple sources and adequate protein. The body works on a larger scale/ time frame than a meal by meal basis in terms of digestion. So if one meal has 2 grams of leucine and maybe 10-20 grams of protein, it’s not looking at it as “okay not enough so we can spike MPS”.......it is utilizing nutrients from other meals as well. That’s why daily macro goals are more important than specific meals/ meal timing
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member

Not trying to negate the original poster, but that’s actually incorrect assuming you’re getting other sources of protein, your body will utilize the protein from non complete forms. Saying it’s “just calories” since it doesn’t have leucine is ridiculous. If you’re also eating meats, seafood, dairy...etc, you’ll be fine choosing a plant based that doesn’t have a complete profile (most do anyways nowadays or do blends do complete the amino profile). But your body also has an amino acid pool. So technically that poster is correct in that leucine is important for MPS, but is wrong in that you don’t need a specific protein (esp some brands are way overpriced) if you’re getting multiple sources and adequate protein. The body works on a larger scale/ time frame than a meal by meal basis in terms of digestion. So if one meal has 2 grams of leucine and maybe 10-20 grams of protein, it’s not looking at it as “okay not enough so we can spike MPS”.......it is utilizing nutrients from other meals as well. That’s why daily macro goals are more important than specific meals/ meal timing

Related to this (this could probably be a separate thread), how detrimental is it to MPS to not meet all of your macro goals? I'm sure the answer will depend on whether your goal is bulking or cutting, so let's just say to maintain. I find that I consistently meet my protein and often my fat goals, but fall behind in carbs and overall calories.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    jiggyj9 wrote: »

Related to this (this could probably be a separate thread), how detrimental is it to MPS to not meet all of your macro goals? I'm sure the answer will depend on whether your goal is bulking or cutting, so let's just say to maintain. I find that I consistently meet my protein and often my fat goals, but fall behind in carbs and overall calories.

You want to make sure you are meeting protein and fat.

protein- muscle growth/repair
    fat- hormone regulation

Carbs are used for energy. If you are fine energy wise, then there is no need to hit a certain number of carbs. If you find yourself becoming sluggish, fatigued, unusually tired, then look at your carb intake and increase as needed.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2018

Not trying to negate the original poster, but that’s actually incorrect assuming you’re getting other sources of protein, your body will utilize the protein from non complete forms. Saying it’s “just calories” since it doesn’t have leucine is ridiculous. If you’re also eating meats, seafood, dairy...etc, you’ll be fine choosing a plant based that doesn’t have a complete profile most do anyways nowadays or do blends do complete the amino profile). But your body also has an amino acid pool. So technically that poster is correct in that leucine is important for MPS, but is wrong in that you don’t need a specific protein (esp some brands are way overpriced) if you’re getting multiple sources and adequate protein. The body works on a larger scale/ time frame than a meal by meal basis in terms of digestion. So if one meal has 2 grams of leucine and maybe 10-20 grams of protein, it’s not looking at it as “okay not enough so we can spike MPS”.......it is utilizing nutrients from other meals as well. That’s why daily macro goals are more important than specific meals/ meal timing

Assuming the leucine intake is sufficient could be a mistake. Particularly where goals are not known.

I didnt assume because I was unsure if the switch to plant based was soley because of bloat and not other reasons involved perhaps a vegetarian/vegan life style or even meal replacements where adequate leucine isn't a given unless suplimented orherwise.

Let's "assume ;)" a person does not eat a ham & egg breakfast and only drinks one protien shake in the morning & another one in afternoon and not consume anything until dinner where a huge tasty carnivorous meal was had. That leucine of a meal 12-14 hours after the first shake might not be exactly "optimal" for protien synthesis if that is the goal of the individual.

There are many protien suppliments (whey & plant based) that are lacking a catch-all amount for use by themselves. Recently Dr Jordan Feigenbaum that a extremely well priced whey protien marketed by I believe Crossfit didn't contain any leucine. Like they actually took it out???
    Without leucine, protien synthesis cannot take place. So no leucine, the shake it literally just calories that you probably would find more enjoyable ygrough consuming food.

I feel this statement holds true and doesnt sound ridiculous from the info the OP disclosed. I appoligize if it confused anybody.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Thanks for the clarification! I’m actually a pescatarian. Just trying to cut out some forms of dairy to cut down the bloat.
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    I use Vega Sport protein which is plant based when I am training for races. I use it because it is vegan and I cannot have any dairy. But I like it, and I think it really gives my muscles the extra protein they need after a good hard run. Also the taste and texture are good as well.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    jiggyj9 wrote: »
    Probably a silly question, but any differences in gains that you’ve noticed? I’m thinking of making the switch because I’m realizing that whey gives me some bloat. Are there any good complete plant proteins on the market that anyone can recommend?

I'm not a serious lifter (but I do competitive rowing). Used to use Whey but my wife can't do dairy so we both switched to plant based. Good comments above, just wanted to add to make sure it's not Xanthan Gum (not the whey) causing the bloating. Both my wife and I get serious stomach issues with Xanthan Gum. It's hell on the stomach.

Vega used to have it in there but (thank goodness) took it out. Some brands still have it. Yeah, it helps with texture a bit but not worth the added digestive issues.

We use SunWarrior and it's great. Not sure about the exact Amino profile, though.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    yukfoo wrote: »
    maybe have look into pea protein. I've been using it for about year now. I like it.

Me too but no difference with gains compared to whey