I need someone to look at my food diary...

Options
I need someone to look at my food diary and help me out. I have 800+ more calories to eat today and I'm eating what I feel is healthy aside from the occasional snack (very seldom). I am having trouble eating all my calories. I think maybe because I'm sticking to really lean proteins and things? Maybe, I'm completely wrong? Right now I've only eaten 776 calories today and I've exercised 418 off. I still need to eat so many to reach my goal and I'm having trouble. Can someone tell me some calorie dense, yet healthy foods. I have some unsalted almonds maybe I could eat some of those? lol. I'm kinda new to this, but I've done the MFP thing before and lost 25 lbs last year and I forgot a lot the food and nutrition things I learned then...Advice?

Replies

• mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think, based on today, the problem was lunch....not really lunch I would say. Also, you want snacks. 5 smallish meals per day. Some calorie dense foods (though I am no expert here): cottage cheese, eggs, beans, lentils, nuts.

Feel free to look at my diary and friend me if you want. We can work together!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Your breakfast is decently in line with what it should be in terms of calories, but the other two meals are simply not big enough. If need be, stick a second tv dinner in the microwave - the first one wasn't exactly instant derailment. On average, three meals at 1500 a day should be around 500 a pop to give you a rough idea of what to aim for. If all else fails, double down on what you picked the first time.
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Judging by the previous days, it doesn't seem like that's USUALLY too much of a problem. Frankly, some days I'm under. Unless it's happening every single day or if you start feeling ill in some way, you're most likely fine. It's important to get proper nutrition, of course, but if one day you're simply full and don't get the rest, that's fine. Increase your intake for the next few days by a little bit to make up for it if you need to.

I used to be worried about it and I've just kind of learned that if something is wrong, my body will tell me.
  • lacerie
    lacerie Posts: 3
    Options
    What about dates? They are quite nutritious and approximately have 20-25 calories per each. I love milk and dates cocktail with some cinnamon in the mornings. Here is some additional information as per above.

Health benefits of dates:

The fruit is rich in dietary fiber, which prevents LDL cholesterol absorption in the gut. Additionally, the fiber works as a bulk laxative. It, thus, helps to protect the colon mucous membrane by decreasing exposure time and as well as binding to cancer-causing chemicals in the colon.

They contain health benefiting flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants known as tannins. Tannins are known to possess anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hemorrhagic (prevent easy bleeding tendencies) properties.

They are moderate sources of vitamin-A (contains 149 IU per 100 g), which is known to have antioxidant properties and essential for vision. Additionally, it is also required maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin A is known to help to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.

They compose antioxidant flavonoids such as ß-carotene, lutein, and zea-xanthin. These antioxidants found to have the ability to protect cells and other structures in the body from harmful effects of oxygen-free radicals. Thus, eating dates found to offer some protection from colon, prostate, breast, endometrial, lung, and pancreatic cancers.
    Zea-xanthin is an important dietary carotenoid that selectively absorbed into the retinal macula lutea, where it thought to provide antioxidant and protective light-filtering functions. It thus offers protection against age-related macular degeneration, especially in elderly populations.

Dates are an excellent source of iron, contains 0.90 mg/100 g of fruits (about 11% of RDI). Iron, being a component of hemoglobin inside the red blood cells, determines the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.

Further, they are very good in potassium. 100 g contains 696 mg or 16% of daily-recommended levels of this electrolyte. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help controlling heart rate and blood pressure. They, thus, offers protection against stroke and coronary heart diseases.

They are also rich in minerals like calcium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Calcium is an important mineral that is an essential constituent of bone and teeth, and required by the body for muscle contraction, blood clotting, and nerve impulse conduction. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Copper is required for the production of red blood cells. Magnesium is essential for bone growth.

Further, the fruit has adequate levels of B-complex group of vitamins as well as vitamin K. It contains very good amounts of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), niacin, pantothenic acid, and riboflavin. These vitamins are acting as cofactors help body metabolize carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Vitamin K is essential for many coagulant factors in the blood as well as in bone metabolism.
  • clbowman91
    Options
    Thank you everyone (: I usually try to make sure I eat my exercise calories back or get close. I've just heard that if your body doesn't have enough it can slow your metabolism and/or lead your body to lose muscle mass to compensate. And I'm weight training and I don't want to lose the muscle. lol. Usually, I just eat when I'm hungry. I hate when it's later on in the day like 6 or 7 and I still have so many calories to eat back, because I don't know how I'm going to eat them and I don't want to eat too late at night. But, at the same time I don't want to just stuff terrible foods in my mouth to get my calories. I try to work out in the morning when I can, so that I know how many calories I need to eat and I have all day to do so. But, sometimes that just doesn't happen, sometimes I only have the time or schedules conflict with me working out in the morning. So, I have to do it in the evening. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.