Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) for Knee Osteoarthritis

Options
I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has had PRP done on their knees (or any other body part too, I guess). After trying everything short of a knee replacement (I am ready for one, but drs say I'm too young) PRP is my only option left. It is rather expensive and not covered by insurance here though. I've read that the research doesn't really support it - then heard from others that it helped.

Any experiences greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had it for a tear in my achilles, and it was brilliant. I'm in Australia and it's covered by Medicare.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    cowleyl wrote: »
    I had it for a tear in my achilles, and it was brilliant. I'm in Australia and it's covered by Medicare.

how soon did you notice improvement? did you have one injection or multiple? you are so fortunate to have it covered there - here in Ontario, Canada it is still considered experimental and not covered at all :-(
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My wife had it for a rotator cuff tear. It seemed to help her tremendously. The guy that did hers adds ozone gas. It is experimental, but the initial research I've read is promising.

On a side note, I was told 12 years ago I needed a total knee replacement. After two surgeries (and an ACL reconstruction, microfracture surgery and tons of rehab), I was able to work on flexibility and strength so well that I actually took up jogging and running for 3 or 4 years. I couldn't walk for nearly two years after a devastating knee injury (shredding the meniscus off the bone, total dislocation and blew all my other ligaments except the ACL, that was already gone from in my 20s). Currently, I'm doing a niche sport of competitive indoor rowing. Had I gone to Crash-Bs this year (the Boston Marathon of Indoor Rowing), I would have finished 8th in my age group out of around 25 competitors. Same knee. Sounds like you're already doing a lot for your knee but just try to keep moving. When you do get the replacement, the people that do the best are those that stay strong.

I do take a ton of knee supplements. Boswelia, MSM, Turmeric, Tart Cherry, Astaxanthin and Omega3s (Astax and Omega3s are what's in Krill, but I take them separate because the doses are stronger that way) among others. I honestly don't have pain most days unless I train too hard.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    cowleyl wrote: »

how soon did you notice improvement? did you have one injection or multiple? you are so fortunate to have it covered there - here in Ontario, Canada it is still considered experimental and not covered at all :-(

It improved almost immediately, though I was told it could take a couple of weeks. I have had three injections, because it wears off eventually. However, I've just had both knees replaced and did a lot of preparatory work in the lead-up, including indoor cycling, losing some weight and stretching. I have no pain at all in my heel now, which is the first time in years. Loving it!