Tomatillos

Options
brightsideofpink
brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
I have a ton of tomatillos from my CSA/farmshare. Any ideas for low-carb recipes? I could do salsa but whats the fun in that without chips? Any other good uses or recipes?

Replies

• C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use them when I make green chili and other soups and stews. I'd also say, why not make a salsa? Nothing says you have to use it for chips. Add it to eggs. Make enchilada zucchini boat (pretty much enchiladas stuffed into a zucchini), or stuffed peppers. I'm sure that you could also search for recipes with tomatillos. These are just the first couple of things that popped into my head.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I like salsa with eggs, and for making "dirty rice." Oh, and for quesadillas... Anything you'd use a verde sauce on, and you could probably just add the tomatillos without formally making them into salsa first.

Tomatillos would also make a killer gazpacho.

(Okay, now I'm hungry...)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I generally treat tomatillos like I would tomatoes or bell peppers. Dry roast, raw in salads and sauces, flame roasted, Serrano sauce, add it to rice ( juice and flesh) ... You could even Mexicanise any Italian dish by substituting the tomatillos where one would use tomatoes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    Some alternative uses for salsas. On steak or other grilled or roast meat or fish. Mixed with leftover roast chicken and a chopped avocado for a dead easy chicken salad. On bruschetta (toast bread, rub with the cut edge of a halved clove of garlic, top with salsa).

Can you use them like tomatoes? I like slicing tomatoes, drizzing with olive oil and roasting a half hour in a very hot oven.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Some alternative uses for salsas. On steak or other grilled or roast meat or fish. Mixed with leftover roast chicken and a chopped avocado for a dead easy chicken salad. On bruschetta (toast bread, rub with the cut edge of a halved clove of garlic, top with salsa).

Can you use them like tomatoes? I like slicing tomatoes, drizzing with olive oil and roasting a half hour in a very hot oven.

You can. Depending on its ripeness, it can have a lemon+orange flavour or even like a half ripened mango.