Building up stamina

Options
Hi! My hubby and I have started a exercise regime this summer. We have been doing pretty good going on a regular basis. Our goals right now is to build up stamina and starting slowly. My hubby can do more than I but for me, what is a good, progressive routine to be able to tolerate the elliptical or kick boxing class. I have not exercised regularly in a while and starting slowly with the stationery bike and some strength training. I want to avoid the baggy arms. :-/ I also have knee issues so cannot "run". My doctor has told me I could use the cycle and elliptical. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks! Blessings! :smile:

Replies

• mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You don't need to run to burn calories, you could power walk and you'll burn just as many as running. I have bad knees but it's usually the lunges that I have difficulty with so I use knee wraps. You might want to invest in good quality knee wraps if you plan on weight training since you want to loose and tone.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm understanding your question- for me the way I built up stamina was to slowly build it up :-) OK, let me ex PP main: first time on the elliptical, I could barely manage three minutes. so I did the three minutes. next day I did five. and so on. continuous pushing of the limits. be smart - it's not a race, you don't want to go from zero to sixty minutes in a day, but just keep adding on the minutes, then throw in some higher resistance/inclines.
  • criscram
    criscram Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks! I will continue to do that. Yesterday I was able to tolerate 11 minutes on elliptical, which is awesome for me. Thanks for your response, MyJourney.
  • criscram
    criscram Posts: 11
    Options
    Mlima, Thank you, I will look into those. When I get off machines, I have to do it slowly. I am conscious of my knee also.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You can just keep adding time to your routine or you can break it up into smaller intervals.

If you can go for 10 mins. Try going hard for 5 minutes then slow way down for 1 or 2 minutes then go another 5 minutes. Do that 3 times and your total exercise time nearly tripled.

No matter what way you go you need to push yourself each time. Go a little longer, add more resistance, go a little faster or some combination of those.