Carb cycling

Options
Hey! Just curious if anyone has any experience with carb cycling? Any success stories? 😃 I’m noticing that each time I cut back on carbs I lose weight. If I eat more than a certain amount of carbs my weight won’t budge. That’s why I’m curious ☺️

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I’m noticing that each time I cut back on carbs I lose weight.
    Short term that would be mostly water as carbs are stored in your liver and muscles along with water. Reduce your carb stores and you shed x4 the amount of water. Eat carbs again and the process reverses.

If I eat more than a certain amount of carbs my weight won’t budge.

That points to food logging inaccuracy. Weigh your food with a digital scale.
  • Bendiz_
    Bendiz_ Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Short term that would be mostly water as carbs are stored in your liver and muscles along with water. Reduce your carb stores and you shed x4 the amount of water. Eat carbs again and the process reverses.

Thanks for your feedback! I use a digital scale for every meal and double check the packaging to what has already been typed in to mfp, and correct it if it’s wrong.

I don’t gain back the weight I lose when cutting carbs, I just plateau. If I continue my high carb intake my weight can stand still for months, but once I take a step back on the carbs and up my fat/protein intake I lose weight.

I know that some people use carb cycling for a more effective loss, so I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience with it :-) Is it more effective than just eating low carb all the time? Because I’m not gonna lie, carbs taste good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Bendiz_ wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

Thanks for your feedback! I use a digital scale for every meal and double check the packaging to what has already been typed in to mfp, and correct it if it’s wrong.

I don’t gain back the weight I lose when cutting carbs, I just plateau. If I continue my high carb intake my weight can stand still for months, but once I take a step back on the carbs and up my fat/protein intake I lose weight.

I know that some people use carb cycling for a more effective loss, so I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience with it :-) Is it more effective than just eating low carb all the time? Because I’m not gonna lie, carbs taste good.

I carb cycle, but it doesn't produce results better than tradition restriction (either high carb or low carb). I do 4 days of low carb/keto, 2 days of ultra high carb (~450-500g) and 1 day of moderate carbs (250-350).

When i do glycogen depletion, i can lose 5 lbs in a few days. I gain back part of that from glycogen replenishment; minus the fat loss.
  • Bendiz_
    Bendiz_ Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks @psuLemon :-D

Anyone with insuline dependent diabetes and or PCOS who has experience with carb cycling?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bendiz_ wrote: »
    Thanks @psuLemon :-D

Anyone with insuline dependent diabetes and or PCOS who has experience with carb cycling?

I don't have diabetes or IR, but I certainly wouldn't carb cycle with those conditions.