Gym or no gym ?

Options

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, calorie deficit (using more calories than you consume) is the bottom line for weight loss.
    Excercise has lots of health benefits, but very few people (probably only professional athletes if even them) exercise long enough and hard enough to be able to cancel out "eating like a pig". Exercise can help with weight loss only if it helps you achieve a calorie deficit. For me, it does help bc I find the deficit easier to achieve/maintain when I'm consistently doing the exercises I enjoy, and any time I've had injuries that keep me from them, I struggle. However everyone is different; some people struggle more to maintain a deficit bc of increased appetite or overcompensating when "eating back" exercise calories.
    Getting that exercise at the gym or at home/outside is also highly individualized and you just have to do what works best for you.
    Good luck!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a simple math equation. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight.
    How exactly you do that comes down more to personal preference.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I would like to ask for opinions on how useful the gym is for weight loss .
    So basically I have a very physical job and eat still like a pig ( main problem ) so now I been given the option to join a gym and I was thinking maybe that plus sorting out eating would finally help me lose weight .

Anyone good experience with going to the gym
    And actually
    Losing weight ? I heard from loads of people who struggle which sounds insane .

Well, when someone is spending time at the gym, they are not sitting on the couch, eating like a pig ;)

Are you lifting lots of heavy things at your job? My mom has been very very active all her life, but her osteoporosis doctor wishes she started strength training decades ago. If you are just getting cardio at work, the gym membership is worth it for the weights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So basically I have a very physical job and eat still like a pig ( main problem ) so now I been given the option to join a gym and I was thinking maybe that plus sorting out eating would finally help me lose weight .

And actually

I've been in and out of gyms for most of my life...I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight while going to the gym. Exercise in and of itself doesn't default to weight loss...if it did then people who exercise regularly for their fitness would ultimately wither away.

Your diet is going to have far more impact on weight management than exercise will. Regular exercise can help you increase your overall energy expenditure and make it easier to maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight, but it doesn't default to that. And really, the additional calories one expends in a typical gym session is relatively small when compared to the calories on expends just being alive and going about their day to day.

Personally, I'm all for regular exercise...I use the gym for lifting weights and I cycle for cardio. It is that much more important for me because I otherwise have a desk job and have to deliberately focus on moving more in general and with deliberate exercise. For someone who has an active job, this element would be less important outside of fitness goals.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and it has helped me lose weight. I go to the 5:15 AM class every weekday so I feel like it sets me up for a good day as I feel I have started my day right and it helps me stay on track with my daily health goals.( Eating right and logging foods). Each day is different some cardio some strength and I go to all of them.
    Also in addition to losing weight I can see and feel good changes in my body. I have some muscle definition appearing, I have way more energy and stamina.
    For me losing weight is also about becoming healthier and the gym helps me accomplish those goals.
  • rpmkarting
    rpmkarting Posts: 49 Member
    Options

And actually

I think I it has to do with what you eat and how much you eat. 2 times in my life I have been 300 lbs (6’2”)

First time I lost 120 lbs in 6 months with a severe restriction of calories and insane amount of running and lifting.

This time I wanted to try without going to the gym. And instead of eating 1200-1500 calories per day I have maintained an avg of 2000 per day. I am down nearly 80 lbs in 5 months with not one day in the gym and not one time running. Just going about my normal day to say activities.

The difference this time is I am not miserable. I think before the restriction was too much. I happen to eat in a Ketogenic way. But that has nothing to do as to why I lost weight. It is a numbers game. I feel better, more satiated eating Keto. Also being at 2000 calories per day is not severely restrictive. Obviously going to the gym and working out would speed up the process. This time around I did not want to lose the weight too fast. Although it has come off relatively quick, not on purpose.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    rpmkarting wrote: »

And actually

I think I it has to do with what you eat and how much you eat. 2 times in my life I have been 300 lbs (6’2”)

First time I lost 120 lbs in 6 months with a severe restriction of calories and insane amount of running and lifting.

This time I wanted to try without going to the gym. And instead of eating 1200-1500 calories per day I have maintained an avg of 2000 per day. I am down nearly 80 lbs in 5 months with not one day in the gym and not one time running. Just going about my normal day to say activities.

The difference this time is I am not miserable. I think before the restriction was too much. I happen to eat in a Ketogenic way. But that has nothing to do as to why I lost weight. It is a numbers game. I feel better, more satiated eating Keto. Also being at 2000 calories per day is not severely restrictive. Obviously going to the gym and working out would speed up the process. This time around I did not want to lose the weight too fast. Although it has come off relatively quick, not on purpose.

I feel like this can go either way. I, like you, have done the "get thin quick" plans in the past that worked but weren't sustainable. Also, like you, I'm doing the slow and steady method. I really enjoy "working out" and I always have to a certain extent because I try and find things I enjoy. Hiking and biking are my usual go today but I have just recently found that I love going to the gym. However, not for the standard go to the gym reasons. I go for Krav Maga and boxing and once I get my endurance up I will be going back to the heavy bag classes.

To OP, as you can see, it's all individual. Calories will determine your weight loss and exercise will help with overall health. Whether you go to a gym or not depends on what you enjoy doing, which can change, and what you want your body to do or what you want to accomplish, which also can change.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    rpmkarting wrote: »

And actually

Great job on the weight loss. You may want to up your activity with the gym or whatever for general health without putting pressure on yourself by making it a weight loss activity.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Okuda81 wrote: »
    A gym can help, but you have to understand, as you gain muscle mass whilst still loosing fat, the scale may stall. Not because you're not loosing, because you're replacing it with healthy lean muscle.
    The scale is a right wench at sometimes and that's why I don't only rely on that. I judge by taking progress pics, how clothes fit and measurements.
    Also, no gym will fix a bad diet.
    A gym however, really improves my mental health and makes me a nicer person, if for nothing else, that's worth it to me.

Not true. A person can lose fat fat faster than gain muscle mass and gaining muscle in a calorie deficit is challenging at best.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    If you want to be a smaller version of your current body shape, calorie counting only will work.

If you want to be smaller and reshape your body, be firm and tight, (or muscular), also do exercise that is in accordance with your goals.

• mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I don't have a gym around there. So a while ago I bought a static bike, and progressively adquired other stuff, a small rowing machine, some weights, a matt + exercise ball,... and also have a Fitbit and make sure I walk x steps everyday. I know it's not the same as attending a proper gym, but if you don't have one near you either, you could always do the same, buy some equipment and watch Youtube workout videos.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    YMCA membership costs a lot less than building and maintaining my own pool. :D
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym has been a huge motivator for me. Getting thinner and stronger is a one-two punch for my health. My herniated disc doesn't give me trouble anymore, no more sciatica, my balance is back, I can carry heavy things again -- because of the combo.
    I would suggest that whatever you choose to do in the gym, if you choose to go to the gym, make if different from the movements you do at work. For example, if you lift heavy things at work, do cardio and flexibility/range of motion at the gym.
  • iRyanS
    iRyanS Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Gym is the only true supplement to weight loss. Though not required, it definitely helps with weight loss and overall health, provided your diet is in check.

Remember - weight loss starts in the kitchen.

I go to the gym almost daily. I do it to improve my cardiovascular health and overall strength - things that I desperately lacked before I dropped 115 lbs. Still a long way to go, but gym has helped me tremendously.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have regularly been a regular gym member for about 10-15 years. I believe it is good for me even besides weight loss. I currently do go to a gym 3 times a week. I am in my 60's now and have a desk job so now it is even more important for me to exercise. Even through those years my weight has fluctuated. I lost over 70 pounds but have put some about 15-20 back on. I am currently trying to take those pounds off. Exercise does not seem to make a difference except I feel I can eat back some of my calories on my gym days. I appreciate being able to do that because I have to limit my calories greatly to even take off 4 pounds a month.

I think I am healthier than I would be if I did not go to the gym regularly. In the last 3 years I have only taken one sick day off from work and it was for a annual medical check up, which was very positive. The doctor did tell me I should still take off more weight. Many of my coworkers seem to have so many health problems. I work at a hospital and am exposed to many sick people but I have not gotten sick except for 2 very mild colds. I think eating right and exercise make a difference.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    While the gym won't cause you to lose weight unless you also eat at a deficit, it's an excellent aid to eating at a deficit. Adding 400 or so calories a day to your energy output and eating back those calories can make the difference between feeling deprived and feeling content. Exercise is also essential for health in every possible way. And while eating at a deficit, regular strength training will help you preserve muscle.

You don't need to use a gym to exercise. It depends on your goals. For gaining a few extra calories to aid in weight loss, I found using the stationary bike in my own house was more useful, because I could do it without having to go anywhere, and no matter what the weather. I was also able to do strength exercises at home until I gained a level of strength past which I needed equipment I didn't own such as a squat cage.

Regardless of what you do about the gym, I strongly recommend tracking your calories and getting your eating under control. That's what will make the difference.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Depends on which environment best suits you (home vs. gym) & how compliant you will be

Some of us feel more motivated watching others with similar goals & view going to the gym as a social activity...even if everyone is heads down, laser focused, & has the get-in get-out (kill it) attitude. Personally feel more motivated going to the gym...even if I'm not the one setting PRs. Just feels less lonely vs. training @ home (this is coming from a very introverted person).
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    iRyanS wrote: »
    Gym is the only true supplement to weight loss. Though not required, it definitely helps with weight loss and overall health, provided your diet is in check.

I would substitute "exercise" for "gym". It doesn't have to be "home gym" exercise either. I have been paddling SUP since the beginning of April and through the summer got to the point where I would paddle 3+ hours twice a week most weeks. I sometimes walk 6-8 miles at a time. While the neighborhood pool was open, I often would swim for 60 to 90 minutes non stop (never standing, holding the side or just floating; staying in motion the whole time).

A lot of my activity was reliant on warm temps outside and I do fear a drop off, so I finally joined a gym a few days ago. When I met with a trainer, he told me I am in usually good full body shape for someone my age with an office job that has not been working out, especially given that I just finished losing 68 pounds the beginning of March. He is about my age, which is why he could say the bit about age without it it being back handed.

However, you have to note that I have been discussing what I have done since losing, While losing, I started with short walks and progressed to about 5 miles as the max last winter and was doing that 2-3 times a week. Last Christmas, i was only doing 2-3 mile walks a couple of times a week. I lost it from diet. I keep it off with diet. The exercise adds enough hunger to offset the additional calories most of the time. It does not make it significantly easier to maintain a deficit, but it does make it possible to have a bigger one and still have a reasonably normal diet.

The exercise has me in shape to enjoy more activities and feel really good about myself, which makes staying this size and in this shape very important to me. I think that is very important for successful maintenance.