Will someone just tell me its OK to....

Options
1. Eat Breakfast (if I'm hungry)
2. Eat carbs such as bread, rice, pasta, potatoes
3. Eat a ham salad bap after a workout or have some bread with my soup
4. Eat bananas
5. Eat a packet of crisps with my lunch
5. Eat everything in moderation without going overboard

And then please tell me I don't have to do the following to achieve weightloss!

1. Fast for 16-8 or 18-6 or 20-4
2. Implement the 5:2 diet
3. Avoid carbs such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes
4. Avoid bananas
5. Avoid everything that is deemed bad which in my case is almost everything!

The problem I have is I take into much information, I take it heart, I get confused/stressed at conflicting information about what to eat and what not to eat, I get information overload and then get more stressed so basically I spend most of my days feeling guilty if I do eat the big bad "carbs"....I've done loads of research/reading over the years whether it be to do with food or exercise/workouts etc.

However, these past two weeks I've eaten more carbs such as bread, bananas etc, been working out everyday Mon to Fri and in two weeks I have lost 4lb....More than what I've lost in the past 6 months....I've been happier eating more as I normally try and stick to the MFP recommendation of 1200 calories but these past two weeks I've had more like 1500 and I've actually lost.

BUT however, I can't shift this feeling of "I shouldn't really be eating this and that" i.e. bread but its been sooo nice to eat these things after a workout and I've lost more these past two weeks eating more than what I've lost these past few months eating 1200!

I put sedentary as my activity level as I do have a desk job, however, through doing the school run and walking to and from work I average around 12,000 steps per day AND I go to the gym every lunch time where I do two classes back to back or if I do one class I'll jump on the stair climber or elliptical for 15 mins!

I do feel better for eating more but just can't get rid of that feeling that I'm being "bad"....

Replies

• melw2910
    melw2910 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do everything on your first list and have lost 35lb in 21 weeks and I am enjoying the journey. If I followed list 2 I would have quit long ago :smiley: , I can't live without carbs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is perfectly okay :)

And no, you don't have to do any of the following in order to lose weight.

What you're doing now is working, right? And you feel good, right? So carry on :) Unless you have a lot to lose (like over 100lbs) you can probably actually eat even more, aiming for a 1lb per week loss. Give what you're doing another few weeks and then look at your average loss, if you're still losing 2lb per week, increase your cal intake a bit. You're very active, and you need to fuel that activity properly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did all the things in your first list and just one from your second list purely because it helped me stick to my calorie goal easier.

My diet didn't change during my weight loss - just the size of my diet.
    Been at goal weight for years and my diet is still basically the same but the right number of calories over an extended period of time to maintain weight.

Seems a no-brainer to make an active choice to be happy rather than stressed, a day without crisps would be a very sad day indeed. :smiley:

PS
    This part of your post isn't how this site works....
    "I put sedentary as my activity level as I do have a desk job, however, through doing the school run and walking to and from work I average around 12,000 steps per day AND I go to the gym every lunch time where I do two classes back to back or if I do one class I'll jump on the stair climber or elliptical for 15 mins!"

Activity setting should be chosen to reflect your daily activity/job/lifestyle but excluding exercise.
    As sedentary mean mostly seated your step count alone shows that's not true. Seems like a bit of a guilt feeling/I don't deserve to eat more mind-set?
    If you prefer to wrap your exercise into a fixed daily goal (TDEE method) then your activity level is even further from sedentary.

In reality dieting should be a numbers game - data not emotion.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do feel better for eating more definitely. I'm currently 12st and would like to lost about 24lbs so in theory I don't actually have a tonne to lose but I'm fed up of being hungry ALL the time, feeling bad ALL the time and feeling guilty ALL the time. I really enjoy my ham salad baps and boiled eggs after my two gym classes :-)

I think I've just read that much information over the years that I literally am about to burst with information overload.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods but plenty of bad advice / misinformation.

Some people find that lowering their carbs works for them (it's still CICO) as they're probably getting more protein and/or fats and improving satiety. Others find that just eating in moderation works.

Personally I'm of the opinion that moderation is the key to long term success. People who avoid foods that they enjoy are more likely to feel deprived and not stick to the plan. The goal is weight loss not being a medieval ascetic....
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh boy your list really scares me. I am glad the good wise people of MFP have set you straight. You can do this without starving yourself or avoiding any one thing.

It is really sad that so many people just don't know the basics of calories in vs calories out. So much bad advice is out there. No wonder the OP has gotten so confused.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    To lose weight the only thing you need is a calorie deficit. You can do this through lowering your calorie intake, increasing your calorie burn or both. (eat less, move more) The rest is just preferences or guided by your specific medical conditions.

You do not need to eat at specific times or number of meals. Do what suits you and your lifestyle.
    You do not need to eat specific foods. Just don't eat more than your maintence calories. Food is food. It has different nutrients and amounts of calories but it is all just food.
    You do not need to exercise. Activity is good for you but you can lose through just adjusting your calorie intake.
    You absolutely do not need to "detox" or " jump start" with any drink or supplement to lose weight.
    You do not need to do extreme things to lose weight.