toning arms - need help

Options
First of all I know nothing at all about exercise. When I was big into exercising I was a cardio junkie, so really I know nothing about strength training.
I was wondering, what would you recommend for toning arms? I need them to slim down and then tone. Basically I need them to look good in a wedding dress.
2 pound weights? 5 pound weights?
Like I said..I know nothing about this. Break it down for me as you would for a toddler. :D

Replies

• luvtcuk
    luvtcuk Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Search some youtube video about arms. I would shoot for 5 to 8 pounds. But of course you have to tone other part of your body as well if you want to look healthy. I love the video of Chris Freytag ( 10 pounds slim down). Watch it through once before following it. Good luck.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    To slim down, eat in a deficit.

To build muscle (since being "toned" generally means having some muscle and being lean enough to show it) I suggest either dumbbell or barbell bench press, rows, and shoulder presses, as well as lat pulldowns, lat raises, and rear delt raises or face pulls.

2-5 lb weights won't get you far in the first few exercises but are likely appropriate for lat raises and rear delts. Keep in mind that the average woman's purse is 2-5 pounds and a gallon of water is 8 pounds. Assuming you already move those things, or other items similar in weight, on a regular basis, you need to work on lifting more than that. You can either use an established plan for beginners (Fierce 5 has a beginner's dumbbell variation as does Muscle and Fitness) or do something like bench/rows/rear delts one day (3 sets 8-12 reps, increase when you get 12/12/12) and then two days later shoulder press/lat pulldowns/lat raises two days later (3x8-12 again.) Doing that 3 days per week (alternate each day) should be sufficient.