Colitis & Foods

Options
Hello, I'm being tested for Colitis finally and once I figure out if it's that for sure, what are some foods that can help? Not sure who else here has Crohn's or UC but what things are better to have? still new to this with my stomach issue (been going on for 3+ years)

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    not the end all and be all and your doctor should be your first resource, but here is what webmd says.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The only thing I was ever really told by my doctor was to cut out dairy (that didn't go so well). Googling brought up cutting out nuts and spicy foods and popcorn and some other things I can't remember right now. And Tumeric is supposed to help the inflammation.

Not really helpful, I know. Just get put on some good drugs and you'll be fine most of the time. :)

^^^^^not a doctor
  • kellywilson125760
    Options
    Ive got crohns and I can eat pretty much what I want when im not having a flare up. If having a flare up my doc told me to avoid fiber. Cut right back on all the fruit and veg!
  • dukeofthedeck
    dukeofthedeck Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've had UC for about 9 years. When first diagnosed my gastroenterologist suggested limiting fiber, nuts, and foods that contain seeds. As the prescribed medication started working I gradually started to reintroduce some of the foods that caused flares. I still don't eat a lot of foods with high fiber and although I don't eat nuts frequently, they can give me some discomfort, but not really a flare.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have Crohn's for almost 4 years and when flaring I eat low fiber, little red meats, no nuts or seeds, popcorn or spices. I had a total proctocolectomy (colon, rectum and *kitten* removed) with permanent ileostomy and could eat almost anything I wanted (excluding foods that are obstruction risks). Unfortunately I developed gastroparesis and gastroduodenal Crohn's 5 months post op so I tolerate very little now (mostly because of the gastroparesis) and on a lowfiber/ low fat for that but can barely eat so I'm on TPN waiting for a J tube. I emphasis most of my current issues are due to the gastroparesis. I am very happy with my ostomy. I do not live in the bathroon anymore woohoo
  • arialb122
    arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with UC in 2005 and underwent a total Colectomy that same year. Limiting fiber helped a bit, and I know people who have had great success eliminating dairy. High quality probiotics may be helpful too. Best of luck!
  • DietQJ
    DietQJ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was put on a low residue diet (low fiber) for flares and I still go on that when I have symptoms. Mine is controlled by Remicade now so I rarely have any issues. Second the pro-biotics! I also went through periods where I limited dairy, soy, alcohol and coffee (and took tons of turmeric and other supplements) but for me the main helper was fiber. Try some different things and see how you feel.