3 years of 'maintenance' later...

I took 2 years to lose 88 lbs. It really wasn't hard at all.

Now I'm 3 years later, and I gained back 27 lbs from my lowest (I'm 10 over the 'overweight' limit now)... and I'm actually much happier. I'm not stressing out having anxiety over going out of meeting my friends anymore. I'm not devastated every time I have PMS and end up eating 400 calories over for 10 days because I just feel sick if I don't eat (this is what made me gain that weight back, by the way).

I've learned that I can eat WAY more than I think without gaining too much (seriously, looking at my diary... I should probably have gained back twice that). I've learned that as long as I keep being active, it will be fine (I'd be back at 213 lbs if I stopped).

Unfortunately, I've also learned that it's extremely hard to get back into it. I'm not hungry much at all the week after my period, and can keep a 500 deficit easily, but then the next 2 weeks are a nightmare because I'm so hungry, then I get my period and I'm bleeding so much and in so much pain from cramps and bloating (or dizzy from anemia) that I end up not being able to workout for a few days...

But I had to let go, or I would be completely depressed again. I don't really like those extra pounds, but my sanity is probably more important at this point. Still trying to find ways to make things better, but no luck so far. I really didn't have those issues 3 years ago.

Has anyone been through the same thing and decided that being a bit overweight was a better alternative than driving yourself nuts over your lifestyle?

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Unfortunately, I've also learned that it's extremely hard to get back into it. I'm not hungry much at all the week after my period, and can keep a 500 deficit easily, but then the next 2 weeks are a nightmare because I'm so hungry, then I get my period and I'm bleeding so much and in so much pain from cramps and bloating (or dizzy from anemia) that I end up not being able to workout for a few days...

Cyklokapron. (I was at the end of my rope during perimenopause and it gave me my life back.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Have you had a gynecologist check you out? Heavy bleeding isn't a good thing and isn't normal, especially if it's so bad that it causes anemia.

You don't have to live that way, ya know?

I know that isn't your point, but that really leaps out at me.

I'm one of those who should be 70 pounds heavier if I go by the actual amount of food I've eaten over the past three years. It's pretty astonishing. I'm still in maintenance, though. I agree for me it's mostly about making it a point of staying active. (And not eating mindlessly in front of the TV or at the computer.) :)

I went yesterday. We're trying the Mirena next (but I'm going on vacations in 6 weeks and don't want to ruin my vacations with bleeding so will have to wait until December). He really couldn't offer much to help with bloating and hunger though :(
    It's a slippery slope. I think you are not happy with your weight but you need to figure out the health issues first before taking action. Even if you say you accept being overweight you "really don't like" those extra pounds. My guess is that you will continue to gain until you end up where you were because the next step on this journey is that your knees or something else aches (from the extra 27 pounds) and then you stop being so active. And it may not be overnight but give it another year. We can talk ourselves into anything. It's of course a personal decision where you maintain but I say "get back on the wagon".

Well, when I was 213 lbs, I didn't walk 10,000 steps a day either. Now my average is 12,000. It makes a huge difference.

I've been trying to get the random unnecessary eating under control (let's just say that my social life was non existent 3 years ago, and now that I have one, it's also made things harder because I don't want to be that person who won't eat what my friends are making because it's too high calories). The problem is what I can't control, and PMS hunger can just be insane (and it started when I was 2 lbs from my goal weight. I was hoping it would go away if I gained back a bit, but so far, no luck).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I took 2 years to lose 88 lbs. It really wasn't hard at all.

Now I'm 3 years later, and I gained back 27 lbs from my lowest (I'm 10 over the 'overweight' limit now)... and I'm actually much happier. I'm not stressing out having anxiety over going out of meeting my friends anymore. I'm not devastated every time I have PMS and end up eating 400 calories over for 10 days because I just feel sick if I don't eat (this is what made me gain that weight back, by the way).

I've learned that I can eat WAY more than I think without gaining too much (seriously, looking at my diary... I should probably have gained back twice that). I've learned that as long as I keep being active, it will be fine (I'd be back at 213 lbs if I stopped).

But I had to let go, or I would be completely depressed again. I don't really like those extra pounds, but my sanity is probably more important at this point. Still trying to find ways to make things better, but no luck so far. I really didn't have those issues 3 years ago.

Has anyone been through the same thing and decided that being a bit overweight was a better alternative than driving yourself nuts over your lifestyle?

While a man, i am in the medical field, so I have seen people with the menstruation issues you are having. I can't relate to it, but moves wife uses to have some of the issues you listed. She was very heavy as well. I hope you get your hormones on check. I know that after my weight loss, my test tanked. I am now going to have to have injections. I am a little emotional some days and a little cranky. I am hoping that these injections will stop that. Best of luck!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited September 2018
    Mirena is life changing. Be patient with it. Takes 3ish months to settle down. it's 100% worth the patience!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    As far as heavy periods go .... bring on menopause is all I can say!

I really don't see an issue with accepting a weight that is heavier than the ideal if it works better for your mental/social health. Some underestimate the impact our mental health has on our overall health and well being and I believe overall, we are healthier a little overweight and happy than at a healthy weight and miserable.

My biggest concern is what you are going to do to maintain the weight that you are rather than continue to gain. If that means eating under maintenance for 2 weeks and eating over for 2 weeks then go for it. It all balances out. If it means upping your exercise a little without upping your food intake to allow for eating out with friends then go for it.

Good luck with getting your periods under control. That truly could be a game changer for both your physical and mental health.
  • I've never been through what you have been through/are going through, but I am well aware of the pain and struggles you have been going through trying to maintain from you posts.

I think you are making a reasonable choice. You upped your typical health marker by losing weight initially, but it caused pain and frustration.
    It now sounds like you have regained enough to make your weight both mentally and physically sustainable.

I applaude you and @charliebeansmomtracey for the hard work you have done in accepting (to a certain degree) that your weight may not be the weight you want to be, but it is the weight that is working for your health at this point in time.

Just an aside.
    I think people, in general, can sometimes set themselves an unrealistic goal not realizing that the calories needed to maintain that weight is unsustainable and can be less than healthy, especially for their mental wellbeing.

Cheers, h.

thanks I am considered overweight but I dont look overweight although I am bottom heavy lol. I am maintaining on like 1900 calories or a little above on average.I am also working on changing how my body looks and so far for me its working. I figure I have 5-6 months to keep doing what Im doing and then go from there. That should be plenty of time for a break and to see where I need to go next. my goal to lose of course wasnt unrealistic for me as thats what I weighed most of my adult life. I had never been overweight or obese prior to that. but I am feeling good at the weight I am at for now.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    For TOM-related fluid retention, keep an eye on your sodium intake. Women are more sensitive to sodium in their late luteal phase, so you may want to experiment with dropping sodium below your usual level.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    It sounds like you have found a way to deal with your hunger even if you have resigned yourself to being heavier - you sound more content about your weight and that's a positive thing.

As others say, if your TOM was kept under control with meds then lets hope in a few months time you will come back and update us on the situation. It would be great if your hunger levels would become more normal.. I hope that old saying 'this too shall pass' will apply to you in the near future.

Ruth

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2018
    huggs
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    I will go on a BMI rant here ... as I have in several posts. BMI does not take into account many things like gender and age.(Did you know that the BMI was introduced in 1832?) My BMI, if I believed in it, has me at 27, which is overweight. I find that difficult to believe when I wear a size 4 or 6 Petite. It does not take into account muscle weight, and I am very muscular from my butt through my legs. And am more so now that I workout 5 days a week. I have been in maintenance for 3 years and at a higher weight than my goal was, but it is at a caloric count that I can deal with, and I look and feel great. Even my internist says to ignore the BMI because it is rarely accurate. He says professional athletes would be considered in the overweight or obese range. Better to go by weight circumference (for both genders), or use the Smart BMI calculator. According to that, I am not overweight and right where I need to be. I know this is a controversial thing to say, but it works for me. Here's some interesting things that I have found:
    https://www.smartbmicalculator.com
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bmi-is-bogus-best-way-to-tell-if-youre-a-healthy-weight-2016-9
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    I will go on a BMI rant here ... as I have in several posts. BMI does not take into account many things like gender and age.(Did you know that the BMI was introduced in 1832?) My BMI, if I believed in it, has me at 27, which is overweight. I find that difficult to believe when I wear a size 4 or 6 Petite. It does not take into account muscle weight, and I am very muscular from my butt through my legs. And am more so now that I workout 5 days a week. I have been in maintenance for 3 years and at a higher weight than my goal was, but it is at a caloric count that I can deal with, and I look and feel great. Even my internist says to ignore the BMI because it is rarely accurate. He says professional athletes would be considered in the overweight or obese range. Better to go by weight circumference (for both genders), or use the Smart BMI calculator. According to that, I am not overweight and right where I need to be. I know this is a controversial thing to say, but it works for me. Here's some interesting things that I have found:
    https://www.smartbmicalculator.com
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bmi-is-bogus-best-way-to-tell-if-youre-a-healthy-weight-2016-9

Yes that's true too, but I definitely have a bit too much fat, lol.