Totally unmotivated

Options
I want to start working out, but I just can’t make myself do it. I can imagine myself in a better body, but getting started is so hard to do! Someone help me!

Replies

• Adele_D
    Adele_D Posts: 4,154 Member
    Options
    Hey! I totally know what you mean!! But you can do this! Start small and with stuff you enjoy or at least can stand and then build yourself up. And then you can try different forms of exercise till you find what is fun for you.
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been there! But now if I go without exercising, the day doesn't feel complete! Start small. Go for a 15 minute walk and build up from there.
  • sofi_andre
    sofi_andre Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Adele_D wrote: »
    Hey! I totally know what you mean!! But you can do this! Start small and with stuff you enjoy or at least can stand and then build yourself up. And then you can try different forms of exercise till you find what is fun for you.

I agree completely with this. Most people have the misconception that working out is just gym or some sort of boring routine, but it doesn't have to be. Experiment around till you find what is good for you. Things to take in consideration do you like to work with others or alone? Examples are infinite, just to mention a few I've seen friends take: boxing, walking, jogging, yoga, lifting, capoeira, ballroom dancing, Zumba, rock climbing, at home hitt workouts, YouTube tutorials. Most people stop working out or don't try it because it's boring to them, but if you find something that you like it doesn't have to be bad.
  • Adele_D
    Adele_D Posts: 4,154 Member
    Options
    sofi_andre wrote: »
    Adele_D wrote: »

I agree completely with this. Most people have the misconception that working out is just gym or some sort of boring routine, but it doesn't have to be. Experiment around till you find what is good for you. Things to take in consideration do you like to work with others or alone? Examples are infinite, just to mention a few I've seen friends take: boxing, walking, jogging, yoga, lifting, capoeira, ballroom dancing, Zumba, rock climbing, at home hitt workouts, YouTube tutorials. Most people stop working out or don't try it because it's boring to them, but if you find something that you like it doesn't have to be bad.

Yes! I love Brazilian Jiu jitsu so that is what I do 3-4 times per week and it’s cardio and strength training all in one. But I love it and it’s not something I dread like a treadmill!!
  • greg_87
    greg_87 Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It took awhile for me to get started. What jump started me was failing. I did a physical fitness test for a career position, that I thought wouldn't be a problem, and failed it. It was a huge wake up call. I knew I had to do something. So I began reading articles, and watching youtube stuff. Some very motivational stuff out there. I set goals for myself, and went to work.

As far as sticking to it. Like mentioned in other comments, start small, once you begin doing the exercises, you will find what you like doing. For me the hardest thing was cardio. I hated running, still hate it. But love to swim. Like rowing. Also I like hitting the punching bag. Never trained for boxing, but like Sofi said youtube tutorials gave me a easy routine to follow on the heavy bag, and its enjoyable.

The guy that owns the gym I signed up for told me to give it 1 month. 1 month of going on a regular basis, before I decide whether or not I want to keep going. It makes sense why he told me that now. Cause after 1 month you typically know what you enjoy, you typically have a routine down, and by then your used to going. Now if I miss a workout, I feel horrible. Not physically, but mentally. I hope this helps. Wanting to workout is the first step. So you're already one your way to turning your imagination a reality.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What's so hard? Time, energy, injuries, lack of equipment/facilities? If you watch TV, how about exercising during the commercial breaks? Crunches, push-ups, squats, jog in place can be done without any equipment other than the living room floor!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think you want to work out, you just want a better body, not the same thing.
  • TonyFitGuy
    TonyFitGuy Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I don't think you want to work out, you just want a better body, not the same thing.

Not your typical insightful response.... Having an off day?
  • TonyFitGuy
    TonyFitGuy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    nivea369 wrote: »
    I want to start working out, but I just can’t make myself do it. I can imagine myself in a better body, but getting started is so hard to do! Someone help me!

Getting started is indeed difficult, and it's the most difficult barrier to your success. The only way to overcome it is to get started. Go out, today, right now, and walk for 20 minutes. Do it again tomorrow. The next day ride a bike. Do it again. Rest a day or two. Rinse. Repeat. Improve.

You got this!