My goal is to lose 50 lbs in 10weeks and I am on week 3 now

Options
My goal is to lose 50lbs in 10 weeks - so far so good. Down 17 lbs so far

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    And then what? How are you planning to maintain 50 pounds of weight loss if you do lose it in 10 weeks? It is not unheard of to lose large amounts of weight in first few weeks of a weight loss plan. Losing weight is just one part once lost, the next part is maintaining that loss.

I have much more than 50 to lose. but that is one of the biggest things I think about. Is maintaining the weight loss. Many will tell you that it is insane trying to drop 50 in less than 3 months. I will say it is not healthy.
  • apocalypsetc
    apocalypsetc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Short term goals usually make for short term weight loss. I wish you the best and hope you stay well during this rush, but then I hope you maintain what you lose effectively. You are most certainly going to cause your system stress and distress with that kind of goal. You may find it will not be nearly as easy to finish as it was to start. The human body is very resistant to change, and chemically will tend to slow down metabolism if weight loss is too fast as a natural response to what is perceived as a famine period. More than an average of 2 lbs weight loss a week is never recommended, unless life threatening. Best of luck.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    billyt9595 wrote: »
    My goal is to lose 50lbs in 10 weeks - so far so good. Down 17 lbs so far

This is not a smart goal at all. With a severe deficit in calories, you will lose not just fat but also a reasonable amount of muscle. People that lose quickly are also most likely to regain just as quickly as they binge due to restrictions or reach their goal and have learnt nothing about nutrition and maintenance and go back to eating as they were before.

The end results on top of stress to vital organs, brittle nails and hair loss you will also most likely end up as large, if not larger than when you first began but with more fat and less muscle. Is that really what you want?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss for an average person is around 1-2 pounds per week. How did you come to the decision to aim for 5 pounds a week and are you being supervised by a doctor through this process?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    A safe, healthy rate of loss is 1 lb per week. 2 lb if you’re more than about 100 lb overweight. It didn’t go on overnight, and it’s not going to come off overnight either.

Why are you trying to lose weight so fast, and what are you doing to yoursekf to accomplish that?
  • Hogan1956
    Hogan1956 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Anything more than 1% per week is actually quite unhealthy.
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,860 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

With respect,
    Betty
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.