Snacks for kids sporting events

Options
So many times during the week I go straight from work to my kids volleyball games or cross country meets. There is NOTHING healthy at the concession stands, but usually im hungry so i will eat a small popcorn. This time I brought a small bag of almonds, but i would really like some different ideas for food on the go.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Can't you wait to eat until dinner, or is this at a time you're normally eating lunch?
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Bag of baby carrots
    Celery sticks with nut butter and raisins
    Whatever fresh fruit
    Pretzels
    Homemade popcorn (so you limit sugar/salt/oil)
    Protein bar

Obviously all of the above are very different nutritionally so see what fits your diet.
  • abcdcm143
    abcdcm143 Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I bring skinny taste bagels

https://www.skinnytaste.com/easy-bagel-recipe/

These freeze well and are easy to travel with. I also like kind breakfast bars or granola bars.

Nuts, fruit, yogurt are good options. If you have a good Thermos you could bring a smoothie too!

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    A sandwich, or yogurt, pretzels, cheese sticks, piece of fruit. There are a lot of portable foods if you think about it.
  • saralee555
    saralee555 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Can't you wait to eat until dinner, or is this at a time you're normally eating lunch?

This is usually from 6 to 830 pm. Too late to eat dinner at home by then. I go to bed at 930 usually because i have to get up early for my job.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Homemade popcorn, a sandwich or pita stuffed with lunch meat and veggies or meatloaf. Pasta and chicken salad, cold chicken, meatloaf sandwiches, lentil soup in a thermos, cheese, sausage, crackers, hard boiled eggs. Apples, oranges, bananas.
  • saralee555
    saralee555 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies. I think the main thing is just going to be packing something in advance and keeping it with me so I have it during the games.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    saralee555 wrote: »

This is usually from 6 to 830 pm. Too late to eat dinner at home by then. I go to bed at 930 usually because i have to get up early for my job.

I'd take a sandwich...I would need a meal, not a snack.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'd probably just bring a sandwich and something else to go with it, some fruit, nuts, chips, something. Maybe like a homemade lunchable type thing with crackers, salami, cheese.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    saralee555 wrote: »
    So many times during the week I go straight from work to my kids volleyball games or cross country meets. There is NOTHING healthy at the concession stands, but usually im hungry so i will eat a small popcorn. This time I brought a small bag of almonds, but i would really like some different ideas for food on the go.

I usually have protein/Clif bars and peanut butter singles with me, and sometimes will take a yogurt single along. (I frequently go from work to cycling to dancing venue)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    pb cracker packs
    raisins
    granola bars
    protein bars
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    pb cracker packs
    raisins
    granola bars
    protein bars

I'd second most of these. They are unrefrigerated so you can keep them in your car and always have them at hand, requiring less daily planning. I'd add applesauce pouches, dried fruit, and beef jerkey.

I personally never bring any kind of nuts to school events.