Carbs!!

Options
40% carb goal and I feel like I use it all before breakfast with two boiled eggs and a protein shake. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You are seeing the percentage of what you ate for that meal only. If it was 500 calories for your breakfast (just pulling a number out of the air), then you had 40% of 500 in carbs. 40% of 500 is 200 calories of carbs, or 50 grams of carbs.

When you eat lunch, and dinner, your percentage will then be the total % of all those meals together.

You're fine, just stay under your calories for the day. Calories determine weight loss, not your macro %.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    What is your carb goal in grams? Those food combinations should not be adding up to a tremendous amount of carbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    But boiled eggs and protein shakes are both low carb?

Either you are picking very strange database entries or I suspect you are misunderstanding something.
    What exactly are you looking at to think you have used up yours day's carb allowance by breakfast time?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you understand percentage? Do you eat all your carb grams for breakfast?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    It’s what you eat for the rest of your day is what matters. 40% sounds all right. The math.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Double check the database on those. Plenty of incorrect entries out there.

Eggs aren't much for carbs so the culprit is your protein shake. I logged a Premier Protein shake, and 2 extra large eggs for a total of 6 carbs.....that's 24 calories in carbs. 24 calories is nowhere near 40% of my day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You are seeing the percentage of what you ate for that meal only. If it was 500 calories for your breakfast (just pulling a number out of the air), then you had 40% of 500 in carbs. 40% of 500 is 200 calories of carbs, or 50 grams of carbs.

When you eat lunch, and dinner, your percentage will then be the total % of all those meals together.

You're fine, just stay under your calories for the day. Calories determine weight loss, not your macro %.

^This is your answer. Your first meal of the day was 40% carbs, that doesn't mean that you're out of carbs for they day. If your second meal of the day is also 40% carbs, then your carb total for the whole day will still be 40%. The percentages are just showing the breakdown of what you've eaten so far, not your total goals. It will continue to adjust with each meal as you log different foods.

Look to the goals by gram rather than by percentages for what you have left to eat if you want to hit your macros (and it's not even compulsory to worry about that for most people). Ignore the percentage pie chart until the end of the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options

Still, eggs and a protein shake should have been less than 40% carbs.

@GottaloveGwen Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@GottaloveGwen Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Depending on the brand, it could be sweetened and higher carbohydrate.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Depending on the brand, it could be sweetened and higher carbohydrate.

Like Slimfast, that was my thought.