Tried zoodles for the first time, because apparently I live in 2012

Options
vegaslounge
vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
edited September 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I'm not giving up breads/rice/noodles/etc but I'd like to cut down a bit and experiment with veg alternatives I haven't tried because, hey, why not try something new?

I was a tad hesitant about trying zoodles– I love noodles and a lot of it is due to the texture/chew/mouthfeel (I have some sensory issues with texture, I cannot do avocado no matter how healthy it's supposed to be). I tried the shirataki "zero calorie" noodles– dear God, let us never speak of them again. They just felt so wrong.

Didn't hate the zoodles! They obviously won't replace grain/rice noodles, but they don't seem like they're supposed to. I could appreciate them for the noodle-feel without the noodle-taste. Basically a filling veggie hash. Shirataki noodles, even after all the prep, felt like biting into...just not-niceness. Some kind of tuna-smelling crunchy noodly masquerade. Unlike shirataki, I can see myself eating zoodles again.

Anyone have good recipes they'd like to share? I'm vegetarian but otherwise have no real dietary restrictions.

The recipe also called for me buying my first bottle of virgin coconut oil. Apparently the virgin kind can be used for hair conditioning and food. I feel like my hippy status is boosting up like Mario jumps.

VL

Replies

• Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I often mix them with a tablespoon of pesto and other stuff.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I put pasta sauce over them or use them as a base for salads. Some people like to blot some of the moisture out of them first. If using with pasta sauce I warm them in the microwave a few seconds to get the chill off, but don't cook them or they'll get mushy and fall apart.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Some like to mix the zoodles in with the pasta and top with their chosen sauce so they get the best of both worlds. This still gives the pasta satisfaction but with fewer calories.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    The recipe also called for me buying my first bottle of virgin coconut oil. Apparently the virgin kind can be used for hair conditioning and food. I feel like my hippy status is boosting up like Mario jumps.
    It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping?
    https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shimmer-floor-wax/n8625
    (I know, I am old.)

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you can find them, maybe look into getting kelp noodles. As long as you rinse them and soak them in cold water while you do your other prep and cooking, they don't have a flavor. They take on the flavor of the dish. They don't have quite as much chew as pasta but they are the closest I've gotten. I use them in my pad Thai and it's so good! They don't take long to heat through and they don't stick together like rice noodles.