Plateau - No reason for it?!

Options
I’m looking for a reasonable answer as to why I am plateauing as I’m so incredibly frustrated.

I’ve been stuck at 15 stone 4 for a month now, every day I weigh somewhere between 15st 4.5lbs to 15st 3.8lbs. I started calories in calories out this January when I was 22 stone 7lbs so I admit I’ve gotten used to seeing the scale change literally every day.

I’m aware it’s not healthy but I haven’t eaten over 1000 calories in a day for weeks now because my weight stalled. I tried removing all carbohydrates, I tried adding in more vegetables, I drink at least 3 litres of water a day. I joined the gym two weeks ago and I’ve been burning (according to my Fitbit) anywhere between 3000-4000 calories per day.

My thyroid is fine and My period doesn’t normally affect my weight.

I’m so fed up and it makes me want to give up everyday and go back to eating 40 cookies because what’s the point.

Please please does anyone have any other ideas I could try?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Last night I looked at the BMR and TDEE calculations with a suggested 20 % calorie deficit on the TDEE figures. So far I have lost 20 kg - about 3 stones - and there is a difference between my daily calories already. It is worth checking up on that - without re - calculating it is possible to end up eating maintenance calories, which leads to a plateau.
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you are doing everything you used to do and the exercise is new it could be that. When I first started at the gym doing weights it took 7 weeks for the whoosh to happen. That was 7 weeks of frustration and tears and thinking why am I doing this for zero return. Then wow woke up to a huge drop on the scales. Trust the process. If you know your logging is on point and you are not over estimating exercise burns then just keep positive
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    kiwiroz wrote: »
    If you are doing everything you used to do and the exercise is new it could be that. When I first started at the gym doing weights it took 7 weeks for the whoosh to happen. That was 7 weeks of frustration and tears and thinking why am I doing this for zero return. Then wow woke up to a huge drop on the scales. Trust the process. If you know your logging is on point and you are not over estimating exercise burns then just keep positive

Yep.

If you joined a gym 2 weeks ago and have a new workout routine, likely your muscles are retaining water for muscle repair, masking your ongoing fat loss. It will level out in time. However, all the other suggestions about accurate logging still stand and while you want to eat back a portion of your exercise calories, I would probably be conservative about those Fitbit numbers.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    azart1 wrote: »
    I had the same, I knew, however, that with my weight shedding every following kilogram would be harder as I am in a healthy weight, but I did not expect to be stuck after just 2 kilos lost... (I am 61 kilos, something like 140 pounds I guess?).

So being frustrated like you are I started using a kitchen scale to measure everything I eat, and it turns out my estimations were way off. Somehow sometimes I ate like 50 g of hummus and logging it in as 15 or 20, then I ate dried fruit and simply fruit with only approximate estimations which were so off I feel ashamed rn. I was petrified when after months of diligently logging things in I realized that the approximations I made were off by 400-500 kcal daily. And that is exactly the deficit I tried to create to lose approx. 1 pound/week.

What concerns devices that track your calorie expenditure, my garmin watch estimates 1700 kcal to be my BMR. That is ridiculous, because even with roughly 80% of muscle and 17% of body fat there is no way I burn this much (61 kilos is a low weight for this much BMR). I would guess I am somewhere at 1500 kcal. I've also heard that fitbits and other devices sometimes get as inaccurate as measuring 1 step as one calorie burnt, which is super inaccurate.

Anyways, currently I don't have scales, so I just did measurements of my hips and waist (because the scales also made me obsessed) and I made a goal of dropping an inch in my waist and hips in 2 weeks having 1700 calories intake daily.

Only after 2 weeks I will be able to tell if 1700 is really a deficit for me, or I need to lower this number. Weight loss is not as much about formulas (you need to count calories tho) but about how process go in your body individually.

Try bringing your calories back to at least 1500 because I am guessing you're not getting enough protein (make sure you receive at least 1,5 g of protein per kilo of weight) and don't forget that the muscle tissue, the one that makes you healthy and beautiful, is being destroyed first thing when you enter the starvation mode consuming only 1000 kcal a day.

Don't despair, I have been there just a few days ago, and also, don't forget to live while striving for weight loss! Maybe get distracted, swap your long gym sessions for a walk in the park. Chances are that you are also not having enough rest, which is super underestimated yet very important for losing weight!

Cheers

While I applaud your attitude, one inch in my waist equals about 20 lbs for me, which is not a realistic goal in two weeks. Someone else once asked others how much weight they lose to lose an inch and most were at about this number. While you can lose inches in the waist and GAIN weight overall through gaining muscle, this takes even longer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,062 Member
    Options
    Have you changed the battery on your body-weight scale?

When mine reads the same number for many days in a row I know it's time to change the battery.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do also think that you're eating more than you think, but you don't go from losing 12 lbs a month to not losing anything if you're eating the same way, so I'm 100% sure that you're just retaining water (just because your period didn't affect your weight when you started doesn't mean that it's not going to change). It's very common for muscles to retain water when you start exercising.

Either way, if you lost so much weight in such a short time, what you're doing is working... but that was a VERY FAST loss and I really think that you should start eating more, because losing 3 lbs a week isn't healthy, and yes, you probably need a diet break.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

This is what I did when I hit a plateau for 6 weeks. I ate at Maintenance for a week (should have done 2). I gained a couple of pounds which came right back off then I started losing again. If you are certain you are eating within your correct calorie allowance (make sure you have updated it since any weight loss) then this might just be what you need.

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I'm a runner, and I lift. A 4-5 mile morning run, 1 hour strength training session midday and an evening 2 mile run or 30 min walk - that's less than 1000 calories from exercise. I'm 5'7" and 160lbs (for reference)

3000-4000 calories from a workout is called a marathon. You are probably way overestimating calories burned.

@VUA21 - That’s what Fitbit is estimating her TDEE to be. It’s for the whole day (BMR + daily activity + exercise). Not just workouts.

Ahhh.... That makes more sense.