Is there such thing as swimmers high?

Options
We have all heard of a runners high. But have you ever heard of a swimmers high? I love swimming and I hope to experience experience it.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the definition. With just about any cardio, I can get lost in "that place". When I ran 5+ miles a few times a week I did get there pretty much every time, which doesn't happen nearly as often with other cardio.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    For me it is the longer term benefit of eliminating anxiety. I greet into a pace and becomes a long meditation.
    Swimming does have the same mental health benefits as other aerobic exercises.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It's called endorphins
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Swimming is my zen place. I love the days when I feel like I could just keep swimming forever!
  • SuccessHere
    SuccessHere Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Swimming is my zen place. I love the days when I feel like I could just keep swimming forever!

Cool! Any suggestions on staying focused while swimming?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Cool! Any suggestions on staying focused while swimming?

Counting strokes.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Sure - you get an endorphin release from most steady state cardio. I never get the same rush in a pool compared to open water, but it's real and it's good.

There's always nitrogen narcosis I guess, but you don't want to mess with that stuff.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Count strokes and learn where your threshold is where you’re fully warmed up and the yuk goes away. Our trainer calls this your “magic number”. For me it’s 150. One friend is 90 and another 300.

I also sometimes count to 10 while exhaling + 2 counts for my breath. This helps my rotation and not raising my head to breathe too soon.