Anyone tried Bike Sharing?

Options
I'm thinking about biking for exercise, but I don't have a bike and don't really want to invest the big bucks to buy one right off. My city has a bike sharing program, and I'm wondering if those bikes would do for easing back into biking. Has anyone here has used bike sharing for fitness, transportation, or both?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have used them for fun and some sightseeing down by the beach. We had fun. Not a fun bike to ride though. Like pedaling a tank. Don’t listen to me, just have fun.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'd say give it a try, then decide.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have used them for fun and some sightseeing down by the beach. We had fun. Not a fun bike to ride though. Like pedaling a tank. Don’t listen to me, just have fun.

Thanks. That's just the sort of thing I was looking for. :)
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    I'd say give it a try, then decide.
    Good point, thanks.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I haven't ridden them but from everything I've heard from multiple people they are exceedingly heavy. I've heard that both about the bikes in my city as well as ones in other cities.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Very heavy, and poor braking. I've used one for transportation on short trips where I'd have to leave it somewhere I don't want to leave my own bike. They're rideable, they're just not carbon race bikes. :wink:
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    Thanks, @aokoye & @NorthCascades That's good to know so I don't get on one, say "geez, I don't remember bikes being so darned heavy," and give up. :)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    It's no shock that most of them are heavy, they are built for minimal maintenance and repairs rather than to be fast. I ride an old heavy bike, and the bike share bikes locally make my bike look like a lightweight.
    I'm thinking about biking for exercise, but I don't have a bike and don't really want to invest the big bucks to buy one right off. My city has a bike sharing program, and I'm wondering if those bikes would do for easing back into biking. Has anyone here has used bike sharing for fitness, transportation, or both?

I wasn't sure if the bolded was tongue in cheek or simply stating a desire to spend no money until you're sure, but you can buy decent bikes really cheap. It doesn't take much bike to have fun and get some exercise in.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I use them because like you I can't afford my own and I leave in a big city. They are quite heavy and not very comfortable as others have stated (though I imagine it depends a lot of the bike service you choose), but still it's a fun and new way to get some exercise in while also getting to see more of the city you leave in. I do 2-3 rides a week usually. Many of these cervices offer a free trial ride, so maybe try it and see how comfortable they are.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    edited September 2018
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    It's no shock that most of them are heavy, they are built for minimal maintenance and repairs rather than to be fast. I ride an old heavy bike, and the bike share bikes locally make my bike look like a lightweight.
    Thanks. I was wondering whether "heavy" meant "like someone's old heavy bike" or "like a Sherman tank built to take extra abuse."

I wasn't sure if the bolded was tongue in cheek or simply stating a desire to spend no money until you're sure, but you can buy decent bikes really cheap. It doesn't take much bike to have fun and get some exercise in.
    That was not meant at all to be tongue-in-cheek, but you have definitely educated me.

My recollection from the last time I looked at bikes on Craigslist - that they started with crappy ones for $200-$300, and got decent around $600 - turns out to be completely wrong. Today's search turned up 30 ads for decent-ish looking bikes for less than $60, including a nice-looking Schwinn cruiser stated to be in ride-away condition for $40.

I might even go out and buy the $40 bike right now except for another problem which I didn't mention above - storage. I live in a tiny studio apartment, and some serious decluttering would have to happen before I could find room to keep a bike in here.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Could you hang it on the wall? I think bikes are cool looking.

a7wipu0ptw9c.jpeg
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    Could you hang it on the wall? I think bikes are cool looking.

a7wipu0ptw9c.jpeg
    Um, would I have to find room in my apartment for Jerry Seinfeld, too? ;)

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was wondering whether "heavy" meant "like someone's old heavy bike" or "like a Sherman tank built to take extra abuse."

That was not meant at all to be tongue-in-cheek, but you have definitely educated me.

My recollection from the last time I looked at bikes on Craigslist - that they started with crappy ones for $200-$300, and got decent around $600 - turns out to be completely wrong. Today's search turned up 30 ads for decent-ish looking bikes for less than $60, including a nice-looking Schwinn cruiser stated to be in ride-away condition for $40.

I might even go out and buy the $40 bike right now except for another problem which I didn't mention above - storage. I live in a tiny studio apartment, and some serious decluttering would have to happen before I could find room to keep a bike in here.

Yeah by heavy I meant, "heavy as in built like a tank". Ours are funded by Nike and Kaiser so it's not like they have a really limited budget, but they are built to handle a lot of abuse and for minimal maintenance (all things considered). I've still never ridden one - every time I'm tempted I opt to walk instead.