My body hates alcohol!!!

Options
After not really drinking since Christmas the O/H convinced me to share a bottle of wine last night. He was worried that on the wedding day next Saturday I may get drunk too quickly.

I felt fine last night and not even tipsy but I woke early in the morning feeling dehydrated and having hot sweats. Drank a pint of water and the world started spinning and I then spent an hour being sick.

Alcohol was my downfall before and the real reason for my weight gain. I think my body prefers the healthy me!

Next Saturday I will have to be sensible, don’t want to make a fool of myself at the wedding or feel horrendous the next day when we have to travel.

Has anyone else found this? I used to easily sink 2 bottles of wine and a few spirits on a Saturday night or drink 8 pints and some shots!

Replies

• jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think it’s a good thing too. Just didn’t expect such a severe reaction.

I like waking up feeling full of energy every day and the O/H was right to have a drink before the wedding next Saturday 😁
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Next time try drinking a large glass of water with some electrolytes before you go to bed.
    It will help with the dehydration.

Cheers, h.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I’m ok with wine as long as I hydrate. Vodka is a different story. I go from zero to 60 and can black out.
    Do you have a Whole Foods near you? There is a pill called Party Smart. I went from not drinking to day drinking in Mexico followed by wine at dinner and vodka shots late night and never had an issue. It really works. You just take one with your first drink.
    But advice for the wedding, have some wine or champagne and hydrate between drinks. You don’t want to have your eyes glazed over in your photos. My eyes always do that so in social situations like that I have to watch it. Congratulations as well.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Not vodka shots as written above, it won’t let me edit. But I did do shots of tequila lol.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Try drinking champagne or prosecco - not whole bottles, but just a few glasses. I almost never drink, but when I do, I stick to drinking that and I haven't had a hangover.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to drink, I'll have 1 beer with a meal or if drinking socially, I'll stick to wine spritzers as it's half soda/juice so it's less alcohol for the same volume.

Part of the issue is that the lighter one gets the more concentrated the alcohol is in your system for drinking the same amount when heavier.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    On wedding day nurse one glass of wine and drink lots of water in between.
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. At least if I don’t return to old drinking habits my weight will remain stable.

It’s always been the reason for my fluctuating weight the alcohol and late night munchies.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Tolerance to alcohol is something that interests me but everything I have found is anecdotal which doesn't make it wrong just makes it less verifiable and subject to bias. Many people report that a reduction in weight reduces tolerance. Some people report that prolonged abstinence (4 months) seems to return them to "lightweight" status. This comes from people who actually want to drink more moderately.

I think the above is likely true because with prolonged heavy drinking you can increase your "stay on your feet" limit so it stand to reason that going with very little to none over time would reverse it. Also, as a heavy person I have been able to drink more than others in my past who had similar drinking habits. I would not take any of it as scientific fact though.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Same. I used to be able to put it away but abstained for a long time before having the occasional one drink. I had two glasses of wine Saturday and was pretty useless Sunday. Dry skin, lethargy, slight headache and not perfect tummy. I'm pretty happy to do without most days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    After not really drinking since Christmas the O/H convinced me to share a bottle of wine last night. He was worried that on the wedding day next Saturday I may get drunk too quickly.

I felt fine last night and not even tipsy but I woke early in the morning feeling dehydrated and having hot sweats. Drank a pint of water and the world started spinning and I then spent an hour being sick.

Alcohol was my downfall before and the real reason for my weight gain. I think my body prefers the healthy me!

Next Saturday I will have to be sensible, don’t want to make a fool of myself at the wedding or feel horrendous the next day when we have to travel.

Has anyone else found this? I used to easily sink 2 bottles of wine and a few spirits on a Saturday night or drink 8 pints and some shots!

There is a phenomenon called "kindling" that occurs after a period of abstinence. You can Google it.

Why not just stop drinking completely? No one would bat an eye, and you would be certain to enjoy and remember every bit of your once-in-a-lifetime wedding and honeymoon.

Ya, I'm a lightweight now too and would hate to ruin my wedding/honeymoon with hangovers.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Based on your low-tolerance reaction, I would suggest not drinking at all at your wedding or having only one glass. You don't want to ruin the whole experience by feeling horrible from the alcohol. There is no rule you have to drink at your wedding even if alcohol is being served.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    many people at my wedding don't drink so we had sparkling grape juice for them.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others, either nurse a glass or abstain completely on your wedding day. No risk of overdoing it or a hangover. Plus, your memories won't be filtered through an alcohol fog! :smiley:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's common for you to feel dramatic effects after eliminating specific foods from your diet.

Tonic water and a lime wedge is my go to sober drink - zero calories.