Lentils Recipe?

Options
ilovelucy711
ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
Does anyone have a recipe for lentils for one? Thanks!

Replies

• lovetotravel04
    lovetotravel04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe for one, but here is a recipe that people love when I make it:

Lentils With Carrots and Onions
    (adapted from Barefoot Contessa)
    1 pound dry lentils (regular or the smaller French green lentils)
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 cups onion(s), chopped
    1 Tbsp ground oregano
    2 tsp table salt
    ¾ tsp black pepper
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 ½ cups of carrots, chopped lengthwise, about ¾ of an inch long
    3 (or more if needed) cubes of chicken bouillon, melted in 1 ½ cups hot water
    3 Tbsp canned tomato paste
    (if you want, you can add peeled red potatoes to this dish)

INSTRUCTIONS
    Place lentils in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saute pan. Add the onions, oregano, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.

Add the drained lentils, carrots, chicken stock and tomato paste. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes until the lentils and carrots are tender. Season more to taste and add more chicken broth if needed to cook the lentil mixture.
    Makes 8.5 one-cup servings.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    a meatless meatloaf made with lentils i have made this several times and it is pretty good

http://www.food.com/recipe/really-good-vegetarian-meatloaf-really-33921
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    I just boil puy lentils with a whole head of garlic cut in half and a sprig is rosemary and a few sprigs of thyme. Cook 20-40 minutes keeping them al dente. Cooking time can vary due to age of lentils. Salt afterwards as salting during cooking toughens the skins. Dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    toss a handful of lentils into your brown rice when you cook it & just add a bit more water.
    Rice + Beans = a complete Protein. I accually use real butter when I make this. yummy!
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    if you can access my recipes in my diary, i made a lovely lentil and coriander soup last week. ingredients are listed there. i chopped the garlic and coriander together and just dumped them in on top of the hot soup when it was finished cooking, cos i like my garlic and herbs really strong and fresh.
  • LidijaR
    LidijaR Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lentils and carrots soup. Easy one - cook carrots and lentils in water with chicken stock and blend it, serve with coriander herb and natural yogurt on the top and some pumpkin seeds if you want.. yummy!
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Love lentils/beans.... Any idea how to make them(I use dried not canned) so youre less gassy lol
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    Love lentils/beans.... Any idea how to make them(I use dried not canned) so youre less gassy lol

Soak over night first. Not necessary for lentils but will reduce gas production for other beans.
  • Antoine112
    Antoine112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you like to try a Lentil curry..

You will need
    1 cup red lentils
    1 small onion finely chopped
    1 small green chillie chopped ( it's a Srilankan thing.. Got to have the chilli, but you can omit it if you want it mild)
    3-4 cloves garlic chopped
    Few curry leaves
    A piece of pandan leaf if available
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup coconut milk ( you can mix I tsp coconut milk powder with water to make up the required amount)
    Some Frozen spinach or roughly chopped fresh spinach.

Place the first 8 ingredients in a pan with enough water to cover the lentils and let cook on medium heat till lentils are soft.
    Just before all of the liquid evaporates from pan add the spinach. ( if frozen.. Not necessary to thaw ) keep stirring until the spinach softens and lastly add the coconut milk. Cook for a few minutes till it is of a thickened consistency. This is a great way to get your protein and it is very filling with the least amount of calories. Hope you give it a try!
    Btw, you don't have to soak the dried red lentils as it cooks fairly quickly.
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I always cook them with some bay leaves & cumin seeds. Fennel should also help.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Italian Sausage Lentil soup from Carrabba's. I make a half batch every month. I've found lentils to be a real mood booster for me.

http://www.food.com/recipe/carrabbas-sausage-and-lentil-soup-162864
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup (laal daal)

This recipe is shared by my sister who learned it from my mother. Unlike most of the curry/soup type recipes, this is a dish I donot recommend eating with rice. You can eat this like soup or eat with bread to make it an entree. Hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 cup red Lentils (These are tiny red colored split lentils, easily available in most stores)
    1 medium onion
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    2-3 green chillies (depending on how hot you want it, you can easily skip it)
    1/4 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp red chilli powder
    1/2 tsp salt

Ingredients for Tadka (to put on top of the soup)

1 small onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1-2 whole red pepper (The one thats shaped round but any dry WHOLE red pepper will work, DO NOT use pepper flakes)
    1-2 tbsp olive oil

Recipe:

Take the red lentil, add the onions, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cook it till the lentils are tender. This kind of lentil cooks faster compared to most, I'd say about 30 minutes. Once the lentils are cooked and tender, you can add salt and tomato puree and cook it for another 5 minues while stirring the soup. Your lentils are technically cooked but for more flavor, you need to add Tadka to it on top. Turn off the soups heat and in another pot (or small fry pan) prepare tadka

Tadka Recipe:
    Heat the olive oil. When its hot, add the chopped onion and chopped garlic. The garlic and onions should be very very thinly sliced, the finer the better. Cook it till the onions and garlic is golden/red color then immediately add the cumin seed and the red pepper. Let the seed and pepper cook for about 15-30 seconds and then dump it all in the soup.

Your delicious soup is ready to be served, you can use some good bread to dip this into and enjoy :)
    I recommend adding some lemon or lime juice if you're eating it like a soup. Add it after cooking

Estimated nutrition facts (just my own calculations):

For the entire recipe (using 3 tbsp oil)
    Calories: 838
    Fiber: 44 grams
    Carbs: 112 g
    protein: 34g

Chana Masala (Indian Split peas lentil)

This is a very common dish in India/Pakistan and this particular technique is a Punjabi style. The recipe was shared to me by my sister-in-law and I hope you all enjoy it :)

Ingredients:

1 cup split peas lentil ("Chanay ki daal" if you wanna goto an indian store and ask them by name)
    1 medium size onion
    2 tomatoes
    1/2 tsp red chilli powder
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    salt to taste (i used 1/2 tsp)
    1/2 tsp Garam Masala
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1-2 green chillies (if you like a bit of heat in your soup!)

Boil the 1 cup of split peas till they're soft and can break apart easily with just your fingers. Try not to leave alot of water

In a seperate pot, brown the onion in olive oil. Once its brown, add red chilli pepper and turmeric powder. Add the tomatoes in this and let it cook for a bit till the onions, spices and tomatoes make kind of a thin puree.

In this mixture, add in your lentils and cook for about 5 minutes. Add green chillies, salt and Garam Masala. Cook for another 5 minutes. Your chana masala is ready!

I usually eat it with "Achar" (Indian pickle made with mangoes and/or other veggies) and pita bread or white rice but you can even eat it as is like a soup

Nutrition facts (For the entire cooked pot):

Calories: 1001
    Carbs: 140g
    Fiber: 55g
    Protein: 51g
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everybody who posted recipes. I eat lentils all the time and plan to try every one of these.
  • lorarocks61
    lorarocks61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    bump
  • sgouti1
    sgouti1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • b218w