What to eat when you're not at home?

Options
I was just wondering what everyone does/eats when they are away from home? How do you make healthy choices?

At my boyfriend's house he doesn't really have foods that are healthy or that I want to eat, and so when I stay over at his house I don't eat as healthy as I want to or we go out to eat. I only get to see him once a week so it's not a huge deal but I was wondering what other people eat/do when staying at someone else's house?

Replies

• dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    I try and always make something from home (ie a sandwich with low sodium meats) and take it with me in a soft cooler with reuse able ice packs. Otherwise I make sure to have some granola bars with me (like clif crunch or Kind brands). In a real pinch I will pick up a premade salad bowl from a grocery store like Wegmams or Harris Teeter or get a 6" sub from subway (6 Grammys of fat or less variety).
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been guilty packing my purse full of healthy granola bars and fiber bars. As for going out. Portion control and choosing healthy choices help.
  • disgruntledone
    disgruntledone Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am all about pre planning. Can you either cook before you go and take it with you are can you plan a meal get stuff you need for it and cook it together?
    maybe I am a control freak but at this point I don't let anybody other than myself plan meals for me.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    For going out to eat, order something that will be healthier. Get grilled meats (have them hold any fats or sauces) with some steamed veggies on the side or a salad (dressing on the side). If you order something not so healthy ask for a to go container when they bring out your meal. Pack up half and put it to the side. Eat slowly and drink lots of water.

For at your boyfriends house, why not offer to cook him a meal? Have him help you. It's something my husband and I did while we were dating and it was fun. We would pick something to eat and than cook it together.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    How about stopping at the grocery store on your way to his house and picking up some things to cook while you are there. He'd probably love it! Eating out isn't that difficult. Best bet is going for simple dishes, grilled chicken, fish, steak, etc... If the portion is large, ask for a container immediately and put half away to bring home.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, good tips. Definitely need to implement planning before I go over to his house. Then I would avoid the whole "Well what do you wanna eat".."I dunno what about you?" which eventually leads to not so healthy foods.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Before we moved in together, I would go food shopping for snacks to keep at my boyfriend's house, which is something I definitely recommend. We also cooked together for a long time - I would plan the meal and buy all the ingredients, so I knew it'd be healthy!