Hurricane Florence check in

Options
mnhtnbb
mnhtnbb Posts: 11 Member
I've recently returned to MFP and thought it might be helpful to have a thread for people to check in and tell us their storm stories. Also, if you have family or friends and haven't been able to get in touch with them, perhaps you can get some information about the impact on where they live from someone checking in here.

I'll start. I'm in downtown Raleigh (NC). I watched the projected track very closely, since originally there was some degree of probability it could blow right over Raleigh, which is about 100 miles inland from the coast. As it became more apparent it was going to make landfall around Wilmington (NC), which it did, I decided to stay put in my downtown high rise apartment with my dog, Snowy. The power is all underground in downtown Raleigh, and I figured even if we did lose power it would be quickly returned because so many state agencies coordinating response to the storm are located here.

We eventually were under Tropical Storm Warning here in Raleigh, with expected wind gusts 45+mph and about 5-8 " of rain. Our building management required us to remove everything from our balconies. I woke up about 3 am Friday morning listening to the wind whistling around the building and the rain pounding the floor to ceiling windows of my 17th floor apartment.

Snowy and I managed to time our walks so we didn't get blown away or too wet. That has been my major challenge and what I've missed most: longer regular walks several times/day. I also caved on buying a bottle of wine and some salty snacks for a hurricane party to watch the news as the storm progressed.

Late Friday, our power went out! That was a surprise. I had candles and spent most of the time while it was out reading by the light of a flashlight (Anna Quindlen's Rise and Shine from the Wake County Library). Made me feel like I was about 9 years old again sneaking a few pages after lights out! It was a bit eerie looking out over the city to see very few lights, but the power was restored after only 4 hours.

Back on track today with my food goals. Won't really be able to get back on track with my 2-3x/week lap swimming in our roof top pool until the threat of thunderstorms passes. Looking forward to that!

It is still raining here and will be probably until Tuesday. The wind has settled down enough that I can use an umbrella when walking Snowy.

Please share your story/experience with Florence.

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    mnhtnbb: Welcome to a great group. It is good to hear that you’e safe in the storm. :flowerforyou:

Alison: I am impressed with your generous spirit. I am still mad a Tom for his shabby treatment of you. :grumble:

Pip: You look wonderful! :star:

Michelle: I’m glad you’re safe, warm & dry. Thanks for the update on DJ. :heart:

Lisa in El Paso for now: I envy your fingers. My muscle memory for typing is okay, but not the greatest. :noway:

I hope to go to yoga today, and also hope the RV repair place is open today so I can retrieve things that I left inside. The dog bed and laundry are the two most important items from my pov, but I’ll look into every cupboard and hidey hole when I get the chance.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon