IT Band causing pain in knee

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I dont see where trying a foam roller would hurt. if it doesnt improve after awhile then see a dr.it was a life save for me and helped me to where I didnt need meds for pain and I didnt have to see a dr luckily enough. trying to get something like that diagnosed here would take FOREVER and dr after dr. time and gas money I dont have to get to those appts

It depends on the underlying problem. The IT Band shouldn't increase in length, it's not muscular.

I never mentioned anything about it increasing in length . I just said it helped mine out.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5294943/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I dont see where trying a foam roller would hurt. if it doesnt improve after awhile then see a dr.it was a life save for me and helped me to where I didnt need meds for pain and I didnt have to see a dr luckily enough. trying to get something like that diagnosed here would take FOREVER and dr after dr. time and gas money I dont have to get to those appts

It depends on the underlying problem. The IT Band shouldn't increase in length, it's not muscular.

I never mentioned anything about it increasing in length . I just said it helped mine out.

Whilst I am not a physio, it's a topic of some discussion on coaching. Whilst that study is interesting the applicability to athletic overuse injury isn't particularly strong. I don't imagine any of the cadavers used their ITB after the study.

Most coaching guidance had moved on from foam rollers as a primary therapy towards improving the strength and range of motion of the surrounding musculature. Essentially the mechanical system around the knee and the pelvic basket. Addressing issues there avoid the need for an intervention that alleviates pain but does appear to reduce longer term stability around the knee.

Foam rolling can help with the pain. So can icing and compression of the knee when not running/ riding. Brufen does the trick as well.

This is one of the reasons that runners benefit from resistance training.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Whilst I am not a physio, it's a topic of some discussion on coaching. Whilst that study is interesting the applicability to athletic overuse injury isn't particularly strong. I don't imagine any of the cadavers used their ITB after the study.

Most coaching guidance had moved on from foam rollers as a primary therapy towards improving the strength and range of motion of the surrounding musculature. Essentially the mechanical system around the knee and the pelvic basket. Addressing issues there avoid the need for an intervention that alleviates pain but does appear to reduce longer term stability around the knee.

Foam rolling can help with the pain. So can icing and compression of the knee when not running/ riding. Brufen does the trick as well.

the point of the link was you said IT band shouldnt increase in length this said it can be done. as for icing and so on for me it didnt help at all. weight training prevents it from hurting even more but once I stop for awhile it hurts again but so doesnt the rest of my body
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I think the other question is, "is your IT band the root of the problem?" You can have a tight IT band and a knee that doesn't track correctly with the knee maltracking not being related to the IT band. That's part of why I suggested getting a second opinion.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

the point of the link was you said IT band shouldnt increase in length this said it can be done. as for icing and so on for me it didnt help at all. weight training prevents it from hurting even more but once I stop for awhile it hurts again but so doesnt the rest of my body

Shouldn't, not can't. Stretching it just brings other problems into play.
  • sisu1975
    sisu1975 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I think the other question is, "is your IT band the root of the problem?" You can have a tight IT band and a knee that doesn't track correctly with the knee maltracking not being related to the IT band. That's part of why I suggested getting a second opinion.

I had an x-ray done to make sure there was nothing wrong with the bones or arthritis starting in the knee. It came back clear. My doctor said he could investigate further because the X-ray wouldn’t show if there was any soft tissue injury. At he time I felt that the physiotherapy was starting to help, which it did as I was able to fully straighten my knee and flex the leg but the pain has always stayed the same. I think it may be time to ask for further investigation into this. I have good strength in my core, glutes, quads and hamstrings. The physiotherapist said strengthening my abductor muscles would help but still no improvement after a year and a half of this.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    sisu1975 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

I had an x-ray done to make sure there was nothing wrong with the bones or arthritis starting in the knee. It came back clear. My doctor said he could investigate further because the X-ray wouldn’t show if there was any soft tissue injury. At he time I felt that the physiotherapy was starting to help, which it did as I was able to fully straighten my knee and flex the leg but the pain has always stayed the same. I think it may be time to ask for further investigation into this. I have good strength in my core, glutes, quads and hamstrings. The physiotherapist said strengthening my abductor muscles would help but still no improvement after a year and a half of this.

yeah I would look into it further and good luck and let us know if you find anything out otherwise. if you know something isnt right keep pushing for them to look into it.