Any women use PowerBlock adjustable weights?

Options
I've been working out at home and loving it. Almost all my equipment is second hand so I didn't spend too much money to start. My heaviest dumbbells are 20 lbs though (also have 5, 10, and 15) and I'm wanting to get 25 lbs next, but where will it end? I'm wondering if I should get the PowerBlock adjustable weights. I use Fitnessblender and that's what they use and they look pretty easy and sturdy. Anyone have personal experience? I would get the ones that go up to 50 lbs I think. They're just really expensive and I'm not sure how much over 25 lbs I would even need since I'm not doing a heavy weight lifting plan. I also just tried out the bowflex ones at Academy and it seemed you really had to take care to line them up precisely each time and they were really long (fitnessblender work outs are pretty fast paced so I changed weights quickly).

Here's a link if you're not sure what I'm talking about

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBlock-Elite-Dumbell-50-Pound-pair/dp/B00G7RHGNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537200774&sr=8-1&keywords=powerblock+dumbbells

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have the 24 lb PowerBlocks and I really like them. I'm very new to trying to lift anything heavier than pretty girly dumbbells so they are heavy enough for me now. I honestly couldn't spring for the 50 lb ones when I was buying, and I liked having the smaller progression on the lower weights for now. Eventually I know I'll sell these and trade up to the 50s.

There is a small learning curve, but now I can switch weights pretty quickly. I heard the Bowflex's were a little harder to switch weights and not the best quality, so I went for the PowerBlocks. The 24 lb ones need to be on a flat surface to work properly, I had them on carpet at first and they didn't line up properly so I keep them on a mat. Other than that, it was great to not have 8 pairs of dumbbells rolling around!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 thank you for your response! You said you just have them on a mat on the floor? I see the stand is like over $100, didn't know if it was realistic to just not use the stand.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 thank you for your response! You said you just have them on a mat on the floor? I see the stand is like over $100, didn't know if it was realistic to just not use the stand.

Yeah, I would've loved the stand but Santa didn't get it for me! I started with them on a piece of cardboard (classy, I know) and then just got a flat rubber mat to put them on. You just have to be careful if the weight is heavy for you lifting them from the floor, and it might take an extra second or two as opposed to being up on the stand and easier to read.
  • MonkeyMel21
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yeah, I would've loved the stand but Santa didn't get it for me! I started with them on a piece of cardboard (classy, I know) and then just got a flat rubber mat to put them on. You just have to be careful if the weight is heavy for you lifting them from the floor, and it might take an extra second or two as opposed to being up on the stand and easier to read.

Haha, yeah, if I decide to get it, it'll be for Christmas this year. My home gym isn't too bad right now with the weights I have, and adding a pair of 25's wouldn't be bad, but if I got the powerblock then I'd have the the smaller increment weights in between as well. But I also need a new cell phone :o Decisions, decisions, lol.

Oh, and don't feel bad about the cardboard, I'm currently using my son's old alphabet rug underneath my treadmill, lmao, really adds color decor to the room :D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I cant say I cant afford them sadly. would love a set though
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I use them, although I don't do heavy lifting. Mine are more rounded at the ends, similar to the ones in the link below. But mine still have the color coded bars and magnetic bar to hold them in place. We have had them for around 10 yrs now so just an older model I guess

I do not see myself progressing through the whole weight set, but they are very useful as a family set of weights. I am to the 10 lb setting on each, my husband occasionally uses them at 2 settings higher. They take up a lot less space than having multiple sets of different weight, and it is easy to change settings if multiple people are using them.

I do not have the stand for them, I just store them on the floor and lift them like you would a box off the ground. Proper posture always =) They do take some getting used to, you have to make sure you put the magnetic holder bar in place the right way up or they may slip out! You can tell it is set properly (on my set) because it clicks, wrong position doesn't click into place.

I have tiny hands and can still easily use them for "goblet presses" (where you grab the end) and other moves that require you to switch hands mid-set. If I need multiple weigh sets in a routine I pause the video, adjust the setting, and continue video when ready.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12026523168263116575?biw=1920&bih=969&q=powerblock+adjustable+weight+set&oq=powerblock+adjustable+weight+set&prds=paur:ClkAsKraXwxyIWEuqGmK1unj2N_7kOtEyvddM46KOtdw5qOnpW4t0bFPmWRMMPvpfDXuENM7U9pET3Bgh0NPo_nrJNmcCHaNt9I0GT9LtDtaAN8WPm5CRYvdlxIZAFPVH70_-4ihotx_E7mBMSgBQ-q5L24xJA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjo5s2Zx8LdAhUFr1kKHRZVDZEQ8wIIhAM
  • jayned9
    jayned9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the bowflex ones and like them! Not hard to adjust at all. I’ve had them over two years and haven’t had a quality issue either. I use anywhere from 5-40, but they go up to 52.5.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i have a set and use them periodically when i workout at home - but i've been hitting the gym at work more frequently recently - were worth the money and i wish i had the set that i could turn into a barbell because i think that would be as beneficial
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I also use Fitnessblender videos and I initially bought the 1-21 lb Powerblock set, used that for about 1.5 years, and then upgraded to the 33 lb expansion for that same set in January. I don't think that they make the particular version I have anymore, but I was also looking at the set that goes up to 50 lb and went with the set I got instead because I preferred to be able to progress in smaller increments - 1-2 lb per hand, v. 2.5+ lb increments for the 50 lb set. I really enjoy using them as it's quick to switch out weights and doesn't take up much room, and it really is a solid investment that will last you for years.

With Fitnessblender, you're doing such a huge variety of exercises that you won't be progressing anywhere near as quickly as someone who is doing more of a traditional heavy lifting/repetitive type program. I'm slowly progressing through my set, and I don't foresee growing out of this set anytime soon - maybe on a few exercises, but not for the majority of the Fitnessblender exercises. For example, something like dumbbell squats will rely on how much weight you can clean up to your shoulders (if you hold them like Kelli does). For me, I've been stuck at 23 lb/hand for months, partly because of the upper body strength issue, but also because I'm doing a ton of other exercises and might only be doing squats once or twice per week depending on the video.
  • imbr0gli0
    imbr0gli0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have a set and use them periodically when i workout at home - but i've been hitting the gym at work more frequently recently - were worth the money and i wish i had the set that i could turn into a barbell because i think that would be as beneficial

Your wish has come true!!!

http://www.powerblock.com/prod_homeuse_Urethane Straight Bar.php
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have them. No way in hell would I pay that much money for them! My mom bought mine for me for $50 on Craigslist. They are fine, I think they are awkwardly shaped though and would prefer having regular dumbbells but it’s nice that they don’t take up a lot of space in my small apartment.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Thanks for responding everyone! I think I’ve decided to just get a set of 25 lb dumbbells, maybe a small rack to set them all on.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbell handles that take plates with 1" holes. I can adjust them to any reasonable weight. Admittedly not as convenient as a power block but exceedingly cheap at Goodwill.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    I have the 24lbs ones. I LOVE them! It takes up way less space then free weights. It's easy to adjust in between sets.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Those are so freakishly expensive. What I did was ordered a pair of plain dumbbell bars with 1" holes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XFXOPM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then wal-mart sells 1" plates for pretty cheap.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    They are on my wish list, but not in the cards right now.
  • wolvespc
    wolvespc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Powerblocks definitely seem handy, and I had looked at them myself. Though, they are by no means the cheapest option. Just in case you're looking into other choices the most economic path would be to buy some dumbbell handles and individual plates. Walmart sells Gold's Gym standard size plates for a good price. You can purchase 16 10lbs plates at $7.77 per plate. That is two 80lbs dumbbells for about $125. Obviously most of us will never toss around 80lbs dumbbells, but whatever your max weight is these would be an affordable way to get there. Just another option, the Powerblocks are well made and very convenient however, a lot faster to switch weight with.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I’ve seen the handles with plates you can get to add, but the types of workouts I do are fast paced and I change weights constantly. Those just wouldn’t work for me but are definitely a good option for some!