Restarting -- Advice

Options
Hey everyone! I've been in this game before. Lost 70lbs years ago. I've had many surgeries since then that have knocked me down, and I've made poor food choices along with it. But, here I am feeling like now is the time and I'm going to need all of the advice I can get. I'm focusing hard on diet change. Today's gone great so far. Wish me luck & Advice is always welcome.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Start by weighing and logging everything, using a food scale. After a week or two, go back through your food diary. Identify which food weren't worth the calories - either they didn't keep you full or didn't taste that great, whatever. Switch one or two things and keep weighing and logging. Rinse and repeat.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    The best advice I followed was to do gradual changes to avoid getting overwhelmed. You want to change your eating habits, so start with either type of food or quantity of food. Make that change a habit before starting to focus on the second aspect.

If you are changing type of food, start with one aspect of each meal instead of your whole eating style. If you like sandwiches, experiment with healthier breading/fixings/toppings. If you need snacks (and most do) look at healthier/fewer calorie options that still hit your craving (sweet or savory).

This can seem super slow when you are full of start-up motivation. But it is sustainable over time, which is the real goal.
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, 5 year ago I had lost 35kgs but injuries knocked me down and messed with my head. I have started back only a few weeks ago, I always knew what I had to do (and how to do it) but found I needed a strong focus to help reboot my head space, just telling myself to cut the amount of what I was eating was not a strong . I have read a lot and talked to people and I am using a keto diet as my reboot tool, this is not say do it, but if you find something to focus your change on it should be easier.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    The best advice I followed was to do gradual changes to avoid getting overwhelmed. You want to change your eating habits, so start with either type of food or quantity of food. Make that change a habit before starting to focus on the second aspect.

If you are changing type of food, start with one aspect of each meal instead of your whole eating style. If you like sandwiches, experiment with healthier breading/fixings/toppings. If you need snacks (and most do) look at healthier/fewer calorie options that still hit your craving (sweet or savory).

This can seem super slow when you are full of start-up motivation. But it is sustainable over time, which is the real goal.

Or don't change anything except just eat less of what you normally like eating.

That's how I've lost 80 lbs and kept it off 2 and a half years.

Enter your stats in MFP, log everything, weigh food on a digital food scale in grams and measure liquids in millilitres, and read the Helpful Posts Announcement threads at the top of the General and Getting Started forums.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You lost 70 lbs once so you know how to do it. Remind yourself that the first few weeks are hardest, but that it does get easier and natural. I am in the same boat as you. I lost 70 lbs over 2 years and maintained for another year. But I got super apathetic and lazy and gained a lot of it back. I didn't start again until I was in the right headspace- you need to want to do it and be ready. These first few weeks have been hard, but I am reassured knowing that it does get easier. Try to figure out why you gave up and start working on measures to prevent that.

I love the idea of looking back through your food diary and figuring out what was worth it and what wasn't. Good luck. Feel free to send a friend request if you want somebody who has been there!