Calorie Intake

Options
Is it ok to not eat all your calories in a day? Will I lose weight quicker if I eat what's recommended?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The larger the deficit, the quicker you will lose weight. You never lose more by eating more.

Whether it's okay or not to eat below your calorie goal depends a little on what your goal number is. If your calorie goal is 1,200 (for a woman) or 1,500 (for a man), then absolutely eat at least to that amount and not less. If your goal is 2,500, then you could probably eat a little less that that and not do much harm. Especially if it's not every day.

If you find you are losing weight very quickly, then adjust your calories and eat more.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    MFP (in my personal experience) lets you know if the amount of calories you eat in a day is too low. So I would say, as long as you are not getting that warning message when you complete your daily diary, you should be fine. Just listen to your body - it is pretty good about yelling at you when something isn't right. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you leaving on the table?

I shoot for +/- 100 calories every day. Anything within that range, I don't sweat it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. I can be anywhere from 400 under to 400 over when looking at individual days. I balance by the week though and try to keep my weekly balance in the range of 50 under to 250 over (so deficit or maintenance).
  • showjack70
    showjack70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Eating to a certain number day in, day out is really not optimal. Some days you will be more hungry, less hungry, more active, less active. Your body and hunger is not a programmatic calculation.

Yes, if you consistently eat less than your target calories, you will probably lose weight more quickly in the short term. However, that is probably not an approach that will serve you well in the long term (generally speaking).
  • mahilaw97
    mahilaw97 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am so busy some days I don’t have time to eat 3 normal and days like the weekend when I have more time on my hands I eat a little more. I think as long as you don’t go to one extreme or another you are okay.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    rit1982 wrote: »
    Is it ok to not eat all your calories in a day? Will I lose weight quicker if I eat what's recommended?

It is OK if you do it occasionally. No, you will not lose quicker if you are eating more. Why would you ever think such a thing?