Stronglifts Help

Options
I've been doing Stronglifts for a few weeks and am enjoying it, but I've had a weird issue every time I do workout B (squat, overhead press, deadlift). I can finish the squats fine but my legs get so tired doing them that they shake when I do the deadlifts. It's like as soon as I bend my knees a little bit they start shaking like crazy. I feel fine when my knees are locked. Should I lower the weight on the squats?

Squats- 45 lb barbell only, Deadlifts- 65 lb but I feel like I could do more if my legs weren't so unstable!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try doing the deads first.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Duh. Embarrassing that I didn't figure that out on my own. Thanks!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    That's normal if you're pushing yourself. You can try swapping order, but I find I'm more comfortable having the control during squats. Also, because of the fatigue from squats, I really have to focus on my glutes for deadlifts, which is a good thing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you allowing yourself enough recovery between sets?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you have no problem hitting your sets on squats at or below parallel, there is zero reason to drop weight on them.

You're are untrained. Assuming you can complete the dosage of deads, you will adapt to heavier intensity as you progress to a higher intensity. If you can't complete the dosage with a extended flat back, I would drop the weight for the deads to one you can.

Don't take away from one lift in hopes of improving the other within the program.
  • happytree923
    Options

I rest for as long as the program prescribes, 1.5-3 minutes between sets. The fatigue lasts for quite some time after I'm done at the gym so I'm not sure if adding a few extra minutes would do anything.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Another option is to do squats on just the non-deadlift day and/or do less volume of them (2 or 3 sets instead of 5) (The volume of squats in Stronglifts is too much for quite a few people, including me)... one alternative program: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ (only 1 major leg exercise during each session, has a pull movement in every session)
  • CarsonSurfs
    CarsonSurfs Posts: 75 Member
    Options

The program says to do squats first, always.
  • happytree923
    edited September 2018
    Options

I do realize this but the only rationale I've read is that squats are the most tiring so you want to do them first. If I switch the order and don't find this to be an issue, is there any other reason this would be harmful?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I do realize this but the only rationale I've read is that squats are the most tiring so you want to do them first. If I switch the order and don't find this to be an issue, is there any other reason this would be harmful?

It won't be harmful as long as you use good form. If you fatigue yourself doing deadlifts, you'll more than likely break form on the squats, or drop the weight down a great deal. As long as you're currently using good form, why do shaky legs bother you? It's leg day...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I rest for as long as the program prescribes, 1.5-3 minutes between sets. The fatigue lasts for quite some time after I'm done at the gym so I'm not sure if adding a few extra minutes would do anything.

What time of day are you working out? Are you already fatigued from a day at work? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating enough (ie at least having a little snack before lifting)?

• happytree923
    Options

What time of day are you working out? Are you already fatigued from a day at work? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating enough (ie at least having a little snack before lifting)?

I workout a few hours after dinner- I'm in a deficit right now so my main motivation is preserving muscle. I find that if I go after I've eaten most of my calories for the day I can push myself more than if I go earlier in the day. My job is sedentary so I don't burn many calories during the day. I could work on sleep, that's always been an issue for me.