Heavy weight lifting VS circuit lifting(which is more effective?)

Options
So I usually use moderate size weights and try to change up my routine. But lately I'll throw in one set of the heaviest I can lift. Does anyone have any ideas on which will burn more calories.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If your goal is just to burn calories, the circuit training will do that. If you want to get stronger and maintain muscle, I'd go with the heavier weight lifting.
  • lauraeisenman1
    lauraeisenman1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Overall, more muscle = more calorie burn thanks to muscles being efficient calorie consumers. Therefore, pushing heavy weight to increase your muscle mass could be the good way to go! We as women can’t get “bulky” in the same way men can, so no need to worry about that possible side effect.

If you also want to work on your cardio, circuit traininng can elevate your HR (if done at the right pace) and help give the “I just worked out” feeling. I’m guessing this is why Kayla Itsine’s BBG is wildly successful, incorporating the mental workout victory of cardio with #gains from strength training.

Don’t forget your diet plays a MAJOR role in your overall health! Someone once told me you can’t out train a poor diet. Any exercise will be negated buy eating too many calories for your needs!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Thr circuit style would be in the slot of burning more calories. For example crossfit is good for conditioning for purpose of competing in the games but not very good for strength if one is coming from the ground up of strength training.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Typically circuit style training will burn more calories. Heavier/progressive lifting will help build strength, retain muscle and change your body composition. So it really depends on your goals

But I would highly recommend you follow a program, vs just a set of the heaviest you can lift.

Per usual, Sardelsa is spot on. Best advice I've gotten is rely on your diet to create a caloric deficit rather than chase calorie burns in the gym; exercise requisite to your physique goals and exercise style preferences.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Thr circuit style would be in the slot of burning more calories. For example crossfit is good for conditioning for purpose of competing in the games but not very good for strength if one is coming from the ground up of strength training.

This is generally true, depending on the gym. Though crossfit isn't considered circuit style training. At my gym, we have individualized progressive strength programs that we follow that is great for strength training from the ground up. However, that's not very common I don't believe.

I would agree with Sardelsa on following a program! In the short term, circuit style training will burn more calories. But for long term, everyday life, having more muscle will allow your body to burn more calories even at rest. For that reason, I recommend building muscle! But it truly does depend on your goals.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like to do both. For the past year I've incorporated a couple heavy compound sets then moderate accessory lifts. Supersetting def keeps heart rate up, not sure if that's same as circuit training.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As others have said circuit training...though for me I do not exercise for the calorie-burn..I lift for the composition changes and strength...but we all have different goals!
  • showjack70
    showjack70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am just going to echo what a coupe of others have said... Choosing a lifting style based on calorie burn is probably not the best approach. But kudos to you for getting into resistance training!
  • FitKim39
    FitKim39 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to burn fat and tone muscle. Not for a major size change. What should my lifting style be based on???