I can’t get enough protein without also eating too much fat! Help!

Options
mclucas92
mclucas92 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I’m starting to count macros, and have consistently been unable to get enough protein (123g) while not going over my daily fat goal (41g). To complicate this more, I eat a mostly vegan diet (though I eat humanely raised eggs).

How in the world do I get in that much protein?? Based on the math, I need 2.7x the grams of protein as I do of fat, which means that even eggs and almonds won’t get me there—their protein to fat ratio isn’t 2.7 to 1. Are there ANY foods with this ratio? Am I trying to do the impossible?

Please help!

Replies

• felixg1109
    felixg1109 Posts: 172 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well eggs and nuts do have a lot of fat. It should be no problem if you use products like low-fat meat, low-fat cheese (in germany we got "Handkäse" - 100g have 30g Protein, 121kcal, 0.5g fat), cottage cheese, beans, skyr, proteinshakes and so on. You could even use only the white part of the egg, because the fat is within the yellow part.

I have no problem to reach my 200g with under 30g fat ;-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are nearly pure protein without the fat. You could separate the humanely raised yolks, make Hollandaise sauce, and give it away as Christmas presents.

I think you will need to also incorporate tofu and Seitan in your diet.
  • MamaWatermelon
    MamaWatermelon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look into seitan. You can purchase it or make it yourself using vital wheat gluten. For 3 oz. of seitan you will usually find 90 calories, 0g fat, and 15g protein. Of course this varies by brand, flavor, and recipe
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    You can always incorporate a protien shake into your day.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Pea protein has been helpful, and I’m one of those lucky people who enjoy the taste 😁
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    First, is there a specific reason you chose those macros? What is your height and weight? Unless you have medical issues involved, I don't believe there's any harm in getting a bit less protein than that and a bit more fat.

Secondly, some lean protein sources that might work for you if you decide to stick with those numbers could be egg whites, tofu, edamame, lentils, seitan, and vegan protein powder.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That's a great source - the linked spreadsheet lists many foods in order by most protein for fewest calories. If you're vegan, you'll want to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy clump near the top, but the veg options are in there, aplenty - just scroll down the spreadsheet a ways. It was a great help to me, as a vegetarian.

Keep in mind that you don't need individual foods with that fat/protein ratio, you just want to be somewhere near the macro numbers at the end of the day. And close is fine; precision isn't required.