No water...

Options
Um, yea so like the title says, for as long as I can rememeber, i have not drank water...very rarely.i drink unsweetened iced tea, regular ice tea, hi-c, milk, orange juice, hot tea, coffee, soda, lemonade....but not water.

To be honest days go by where i barely drink anything. I just don't get "thirsty" that often....... I think most of my water intake comes from the things i listed above, and soup.

I see MFP water suggestion and i don't see how is even possible. I would have to gag down water to even get 1/2 that suggestion... Not iced tea? I could do a gallon a day. Lol

Ive tried flavored water, no go. Sometimes drinking too much water will make me feel nauseas..so...bland!
Anyway. I know it's not health related ..i had blood eork ran a few times recently, all good.

Am i alone here? Am i a human mutant? I want to get healthy but this has me confused..... And scared maybe when i really think about it.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Count all your liquids as water. Boom, done.

Also log those liquids as food because many of them have calories.

https://knowledgenuts.com/2013/10/23/the-kangaroo-rat-never-needs-to-drink-water/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Um, yea so like the title says, for as long as I can rememeber, i have not drank water...very rarely.i drink unsweetened iced tea, regular ice tea, hi-c, milk, orange juice, hot tea, coffee, soda, lemonade....but not water.

To be honest days go by where i barely drink anything. I just don't get "thirsty" that often....... I think most of my water intake comes from the things i listed above, and soup.

I see MFP water suggestion and i don't see how is even possible. I would have to gag down water to even get 1/2 that suggestion... Not iced tea? I could do a gallon a day. Lol

Ive tried flavored water, no go. Sometimes drinking too much water will make me feel nauseas..so...bland!
    Anyway. I know it's not health related ..i had blood eork ran a few times recently, all good.

Am i alone here? Am i a human mutant? I want to get healthy but this has me confused..... And scared maybe when i really think about it.

All of those things have water in them, plus a lot of the foods you eat, so no worries. If your pee is light colored, you aren't getting thirsty because you're properly hydrated :drinker:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    tea and coffee are water with leaf or bean flavoring. If your pee is light colored and you're not feeling any negative effects of being dehydrated then you're fine. Most of the drinks you listed are pretty high calorie so watch out for that but otherwise, don't worry about it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    All liquids count towards hydration.ld eat
    It takes some time to grow used to drinking more water, but I notice a real difference in my overall health now Vs when I drank only low calorie flavored beverages like juice. It's worth noting that many sodas are full of salt, which is the opposite of hydrating. They say by the time you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Well, I don't know how true that is but generally my brain doesn't have strong "time to drink!" signals either. I had to gradually establish the habit. Good luck!

I don't know why this myth keeps circulating. A 12oz can of coke has 45mg of salt. A 20oz servong of Mountain Dew has 85mg. Your daily recommended allowance for sodium is 2300mg so at most you are getting about 4% of the recommended amount from a soda. And, just for reference, an average slice of wheat bread (you know that super healthy stuff that everyone says you should eat) contains around 112mg of sodium - more than the soda!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    All liquids count towards hydration.ld eat
    It takes some time to grow used to drinking more water, but I notice a real difference in my overall health now Vs when I drank only low calorie flavored beverages like juice. It's worth noting that many sodas are full of salt, which is the opposite of hydrating. They say by the time you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Well, I don't know how true that is but generally my brain doesn't have strong "time to drink!" signals either. I had to gradually establish the habit. Good luck!

I don't know why this myth keeps circulating. A 12oz can of coke has 45mg of salt. A 20oz servong of Mountain Dew has 85mg. Your daily recommended allowance for sodium is 2300mg so at most you are getting about 4% of the recommended amount from a soda. And, just for reference, an average slice of wheat bread (you know that super healthy stuff that everyone says you should eat) contains around 112mg of sodium - more than the soda!

To add, water has some sodium.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I don't drink enough. My mother doesn't drink enough. The only time it becomes a problem for me is when I get dehydrated (I can tell and so can my kidney doctor who tells me to drink more water as does my gastrointestinal doctor... sigh). I stay hydrated through coffee (lol) and teas and stuff. If I have a giant glass of something in the morning, I'll still have that glass of something at the end of the day. My house gets littered with half-filled cups (I'll get a drink, sip it for an hour or so then forget about it and get another, sip it, etc) and then my husband is like WHY ARE THERE ALL THESE CUPS?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! And I'm like, THEY'RE WAYPOINTS FOR MY WALK THROUGH THE FABLED DESERT.

Anyway, I understand, though I have no solution, really. I try to make sure to get a little bit of water with every cup of coffee. Water can be something else -- soda, tea, wtfever -- but something liquid-y. And I watch for signs that I'm getting too dehydrated... but otherwise, like the others say... if your urine is good, and you FEEL good, then you're probably okay!

Good luck!
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this thread. For the first 30 years of my life I was Dr. Pepper addict. I quit over 15 years ago and have never looked back. I drink iced tea 90% of the time. I do worry about this but figured the iced tea with splenda HAS to be better for me than soda. I had assumed it was a sin compared to water. This thread and the link to the Facts about Hydration post have made me feel like I'm doing pretty good! Thank MFP!