If every day were like today... You'd weigh xx kg in 5 weeks. Does this work for you?

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Nope, mainly because if every day were like today I would be bored stupid and give up.

Amen!!!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited September 2018
    When I am cutting weight and as accurate as possible with calorie intake/weighing food/logging (and ZERO cheating); yes, the button has been accurate.

When I'm not cutting, I don't hit the button; so I don't know if it would be accurate or not.

I've also been at this nearly 1000 days.

ETA: I only cut for 6-10 weeks at a time (so not sure how accurate the prediction would be over longer periods).
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Nope. Ignore that.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    The only way for that to be correct, is by exactly how it states. If every day was like today. The chances that someone eats exactly the same thing, works out the exact same way is....slim. I close my diary just for a fake sense of instant gratification before I come back to reality lol.
  • dawnvt043
    dawnvt043 Posts: 6 Member
    No. I try to ignore it. If I dont, I get super frustrated if I'm not at that goal and end up stuffing things in my face I shouldn't.
    Like today, it said I'd be 20 pounds lighter in 5 weeks. As awesome as that would be, I don't see it happening any time soon .
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    No. MFP underestimates my calorie needs, so it thinks I'll gain when I'll actually lose slowly, or maintain . . . but that's unusual - MFP is more accurate for most people.

For anyone, it's only potentially true if every day is exactly like today. Unlikely.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    If it's not working for you then the data you are giving MFP is not accurate. (i.e. your not logging accurately).

Do you care? Well this depends on if your happy with your progress.

This is not true. You could give MFP perfectly accurate information every day, but if you don't live out the assumption that you will live every day exactly the same for 35 days in a row, the prediction will not be accurate. No user told MFP to make that assumption, so the error is not in the information the user is providing.

Personally, I find the prediction helpful in realistically assessing the damage from days that I indulge and eat above goal or even above maintenance ("even if I did that every day for more than a month, I'd still lose a few ounces, not gain") and the minimal gain from eating significantly below goal ("that was fine today because I was exhausted or sick and spent a big chunk of the day in bed, but I know I'd be gnawing my arm off if I tried to eat like that on normal days, and look, it would get me an extra three pounds of loss for over a month of misery and deprivation.")
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    ...Personally, I find the prediction helpful in realistically assessing the damage from days that I indulge and eat above goal...
    I think that is a good point, if you see a constant lower number and then have a day where the predicted weight rises it is a good reminder not to eat the same way again.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    No. It doesn't even slightly motivate me. They actually had to change it because there are an insane amount of people with eating disorders on here that use the diary to log everything they'd eat. They'd eat 300 calories in a day and it would tell them they would be 15 pounds smaller in 5 weeks and it would motivate them to keep going. Now you can't close it with less than 1000. I just scoff at it. It would be nice, but its not realistic.
  • kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    As everyone else said, no, because every day isn’t going to be exactly the same.

But I like it because it helps keep me focused. Like yesterday, I ate over my calories but the prediction still had me down about a pound in five weeks. It helps me remember that I don’t have to be perfect every day to lose. And I figure as long as my daily prediction is always a net loss (no matter how small) or at least breaking even, then I’m on the right track overall.
  • sammiw38
    sammiw38 Posts: 10 Member
    I ignore it. My husband looks at it as a challenge and a goal.
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    I kept track of the five week prediction for fun knowing that MFP can not predict your weight five weeks in advance.

Here are my results:
    qclab3ovgysg.png

Ooh I love this idea!
    I do use it as and log it on MFP 5 weeks ahead, to see if I do reach it. Obviously it isn't an accurate prediction, as mentioned by others, we will not eat and move exactly the same every day.
    But I do find it interesting that even if I feel I had a very bad day, I often still manage to maintain.
    So overall, it is interesting, but by no means accurate.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    It doesn't since I don't eat exactly the same thing everyday. Kinda useless as a tool, though fun to read.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Like a lot of folks on here, I recognize it's not a perfect predictor because you will never have 5 weeks of the exact same food and activity. But I do use it as a barometer for how I'm doing in general. As long as that "You'd Weigh" number is less or even the same as today I feel like I'm not backsliding. It's motivational for me as a tool, not as an actual prediction of things to come. And kudos to DoubleUbea for the spreadsheet- nice work!
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    MFP said this to me today. I am so furious. :angry:

9tbbvw84x7og.png
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    you'd need accurate logging and a moving average of the last 5 weeks to be close, i find it motivating
  • Traijan
    Traijan Posts: 8 Member
    No, on the days that it tells me (because I've met their 1250 calorie count) it tells me I'll drop 16 lbs in 5 weeks. It's been 4 weeks since my doctor put me on this site and I went to a different doctor yesterday and I still weight exactly the same as 4 weeks ago when I saw my new Endo Doctor.

I was excited when I first saw that and thought a good motivator until I weighed in yesterday and saw that I hadn't even lost 1 lb in 4 weeks (roughly).

On a positive note however, I've not gained a pound either and my blood glucose levels are being managed a lot easier by using the food database to estimate my carbs and thus my insulin.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    no, but I usually look at it as an indicator as to how much I can go over before not losing weight, ie, I can go 300 kcal over and still not gain weight, I find that part useful....