Hour glass figure advice

Any friends put there with advice for hour glass figure exercises?

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Use a calorie deficit for weight loss. Exercise has lots of benefits, but unfortunately you can't spot reduce. Otherwise, enjoy the hour glass figure; lots of people want that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    What are your goals, to keep an hourglass or obtain one?

As mentioned it will be mostly genetics, in terms of bone structure and how you carry your weight. However lifting weights can help while you lose (to retain muscle) or building muscle in the lats, shoulders, glutes and quads to give more an illusion of an hourglass.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    You can't spot reduce, the figure our genetics dictates is what we get. Now, we can everywhere-reduce, then build muscle in shoulders and glutes to give a more hourglass figure image. But that's mild as muscle takes a lot more dedicated to build than overall fat is to lose, and there's only so much adding muscle in areas will change the appearance of your figure.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Bone structure and genetic body fat distribution do more to dictate your shape than exercises. As stated above, you can focus on certain areas to gain more of the appearance of a certain shape, but only to an extent. Goals are good if reasonable and achievable, but so is accepting the shape you naturally have and working to highlight your strong points.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    In agreement that it really comes down to genetics. I carried the vast majority of my weight in my lower half. When I lost the weight, I came to the shocking realization that I'm not hourglass or pear shaped at all, but an inverted triangle. There is only a 6 inch difference between my hips and waist. I have small hips, who knew? I have maintained my glutes via strength training as I lost weight, but since I can't surgically expand my hip bones, I will likely never be able to naturally put on enough muscle to make them as wide as my shoulders, and that's fine with me because being a healthy weight is my #1 priority.
  • webbsark
    webbsark Posts: 17 Member
    Accentuate and flaunt your curves.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Be born with wide hips and ribcage, as well as genetics that cause you to carry fat in particular areas.

You can target development of particular muscles, but there are no exercises that spot reduce fat, change your bone structure, or change where the body stores fat.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

a lot of that is genetics...even at my fattest, I still had an hourglass figure (when viewed from the front anyway). Much of it comes down to bone structure when the excess weight is lost, and building up muscle in various other areas will only go so far.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited September 2018

Hi @raquelmurray0
    There are more than a few ladies at my gym working towards this goal. What body shape are you starting with?

Check out these links:
    https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/5-moves-hourglass-figure

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/muscle-fitness-hers/hers-workouts/7-exercises-sculpt-hourglass-figure

Best,
    M
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Embrace your natural beautiful womanly curves!